All Topics / Heads Up! / House with unsealed Asbestos cement roofing -ex housing commission circa 1964/5. Is this dangerous? Black mold pock marks!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Rosey RabaglinoRosey Rabaglino
    @rosey-rabaglino

Hi! I need help hopefully expert/technical help regarding unsealed asbestos cement roof sheeting that "looks" like it is undamaged! But, it is as I stated, unsealed with black mold, and grey and white pock marks all over it…the coping also looks a tad strained! Through my reseach I have learned these roofs – unsealed, would have substanially degraded over the 40+ years exposed to the elements! Is this true?
    That not only hailstorms, but, heavy rain storms could release deadly asbestos fibres into the atmosphere and into downpipes and eventually into our water system! I live in Brisbane and the house next door is the one to which I'm referring….however….Brisbane is absolutely riddled with houses that have asbestos roofs. Does anyone agree with me that because these houses are very possibly an environmental problem that there should be a substanial loading on the rates notices on these properties? I'm at present making a folio of information regarding the possibility of making Brisbane the benchmark for the eradication of asbestos building products in our houses! Can anyone help with info, professional and/or political contacts, or just help with putting together a professional proposal/petition? I am very passionate about this matter as I have respiratory problems now and I don't want or need to be exposed to this! To anyone that can help or want to add their names to my petition…I canbe contacted by e-mail at [email protected] thanks!

Help! Help! Help!
    Regards,

Rosey

Profile photo of sallyannsallyann
    @sallyann

I think there will be fibres in the gutters of the house and around the base of downpipes or in the soakwell. Most will still have bits of cement on them, so they would not reach the lowest parts of the lung if inhaled (which is where the damage occurs).

There are background asbestos fibres in every Australian city and town. We all have thousands of fibres in our lungs. The body can cope with these background levels. I don't think that house would be increasing your background levels.

I have some experience and education in the subject.

Won't help with the peitition sorry – I think long term we need to remove all asbestos but there is still time in most cases of asbestos cement sheeting.

(Asbestos is only hazardous if inhaled, not as a water contaminant.)

Have you tried the Asbestos Diseases Society, they would support the sort of proposals you suggest.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Try Workcover, AMDEL, Noel Arnold & Assoc,  CFMEU, James Hardie  & others for more information.

Asbestos as a building product was banned around 1984 but severely restricted a few years prior to that. It is still used by defence forces as they are reluctant to use proven alternatives, and it can still be found in some brake linings.

Generally though, exposure happens when asbestos is in a friable state ie loose (lagging or limpet) or when sheets are broken or in poor condition. Fibro which has been exposed to the elements (ie roofing) does turn black. There are no legal requirements for building owners to replace asbestos products – commercial/govt owners generally are required to keep a register, encapsulate it where necessary (make it safer).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.