All Topics / Overseas Deals / Why Invest in the US of A

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Can somebody explain something to me? If the Central bank's interest rate is close to 0% and the cashflow from the property is +ve (assuming that the gross yield is around 20%). Why would the bank still provide a lend at 70% with interest rate near the 7%, rather than at 3%? Is it because:

1) they don't like the tenant?
    2) they don't like the area that the property is in?
    3) something wrong with the bank's appraisal system
    4) all of the above?
    5) none of the above?

Thanks for your feedback

Profile photo of richardsydney1234richardsydney1234
    Participant
    @richardsydney1234

hi guys,

I am new here and would appreciate your help.

How do you guys arrange finance when buying in USA? Do I have to open a US bank account?

many thanks guys.

Cheers

R

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Richard

Yes you will need to open a US Bank Account but regretfully ignore of lot of the previous posts as neither Citibank nor Bank America will lend to Foreign Nationals. Didnt in the good old past nor will they in the current climate. 

A lot of the US lenders who used to lend to FN's such as World Savings, Indy Mac, Alliance Bancorp this list goes are in adaministration or have been merged and taken over.

HSBC although they have an office in Oz dont lend to FN's either.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of neilvsneilvs
    @neilvs
    jcso99 wrote:
    Can somebody explain something to me? If the Central bank's interest rate is close to 0% and the cashflow from the property is +ve (assuming that the gross yield is around 20%). Why would the bank still provide a lend at 70% with interest rate near the 7%, rather than at 3%? Is it because:

1) they don't like the tenant?
    2) they don't like the area that the property is in?
    3) something wrong with the bank's appraisal system
    4) all of the above?
    5) none of the above?

Thanks for your feedback

Yeh I'm also interested in opinions regarding this phenomenon! Doesnt seem as if there were any up to now.
    I dont have the slightest clue, but i'm sure other do – so let's hear 'em!

@neilvs
    Qlds007 wrote:
    One issue if they cant get finance these days.

hi Richard

Do you know of any way of obtaining finance on US homes? I noted in one of your prior posts that u know of a lender who will do 65% loans… is that the only one you know of?

Also, I'm curious about all these "cheapies" – houses for under $5000 – some even for under $1000 and some for $1.
    What's the catch with buying these cash? is it perhaps because there are thousands of dollars outstanding on council rates?

Even so, it may still be a good buy.

Assuming a house costs $5000 and has a further $5000 in outstanding taxes, and say another $5000 in repairs required.
    I'm assuming then that the 65% finance would only be for the $5000 purchase price (which would be presumably from a bank) and that the remaining $10 000 in tax and repairs would have to be forked out in cash??

Participant
    @qlds007

The mortgage rate and the Fed Rate are 2 totally different indices.

I see last week Fannie Mac dropped their rate to 4.84%.

@neilvs
    Qlds007 wrote:
    The mortgage rate and the Fed Rate are 2 totally different indices.

I see last week Fannie Mac dropped their rate to 4.84%.

This is true, but they are linked. The question is why the gap between the two rates are so large. Historically they have been far closer.

I would guess that its related to the perceived risk which the banks attach to property in the current climate.

In 'bullish' real estate markets where there is little percieved risk the two rates are far closer.

Just my opion… feel free to shoot me down!  ;p

Participant
    @qlds007

Sorry mate they are not linked at all.

Mortgage rates in the US are negotiable like anything in the Country is.

By the way just received an email from an old friend who is Head of Credit in Washington and he tells me that the Bank has never previously and has no future intention to offer provide loans to Foreign Nationals.

At the moment they cant keep up with the demand from locals and they can properly credit underwrite these clients with FICO and evidence income etc.

We work with several investors offering Vendor Finance over in many States in the US and have done for years now.

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99
    I have just finished reading the book titled "2 years to a million in real estate" and am thankful for the insight on how to build a portfolio of positive cashflow real estate assets. I am 30 years old and have 3 marginally positively geared properties in Australia. At the moment, I am working in Hong Kong in banking sector but my true goal is to achieve financial freedom within the next 5 years. I have done some research into which geography would allow me to achieve this goal, given my limited cash savings of only USD 50,000. My decision is to invest in apartment buildings in Houston, Texas.
    My strategy is to acquire an apartment building (that is either run-down due to lack of cosmetic make-over or mis-managed by existing owner) where I appoint a professional management company to fix up the cosmetic issue or re-jig the tenancy issue so that I can collect market rent. However, given my limited cash reserve, I am not able to acquire large apartment building becuase the entry price starts at 500,000. My 50K cash is only 10% deposit and there is no banks that will lend me 90% (particularly if I am not a US resident). In order to get around this issue, I am thinking about approaching the seller or its broker to fix up the asset on behalf of seller (an engagement letter will be signed between me and seller to undertake this work with a clause within the letter which gives me the right to purchase the asset from seller at original asking price. If the seller refuses to sell me the asset after it is fixed, I will request to recoup my actual costs spent + 30% margin. In theory, the seller should agree to this becuase he/she does not have to deal with the problematic asset as I am fixing it becuase I am the owner's representative) via minor cosmetic make-up or tenancy re-jig with an aim to increase the property's NOI. Once the NOI is increased, I will ask the bank to provide a 70 or 80% lend based on higher value (due to increased NOI). In which case, I only need to spend not more tha  50K to fix up the problem and get a chance to purchase a higher value asset at the original asking price. Do you have any comments on my strategy or would you propose something different?
    Looking forward to hear from you.
    Cheers
    John
    Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Can anybody recommend a mortgage broker that will lend to overseas investors for mult-family property (7-plex with asking price of 200k). I have the 30% cash deposit with some cash left for minor rehab. I am looking for lenders but my initial discussion with US mortgage brokers have not been very successful.

Anybody knows of mortgage brokers that can help is much appreciated.

Cheers
    John So

Participant
    @qlds007

John

Might want to read the article i wrote in this months API mag.

Participant
    @qlds007

John

Might want to read the article i wrote in this months API mag.

Profile photo of cool samcool sam
    Participant
    @cool-sam
    cool sam wrote:
    Is it good time to invest in Asia? Where are you recently residing, John? Tell me something about real estate funds management.

Any advice will be welcomed……..

Internet Marketing Company l Online Marketing l SEO San Diego

Search Engine Optimization SEO India | Web Design India

Profile photo of timsapnatimsapna
    @timsapna

Hi Everyone,
    I am an Australian living in the US and I am liquidating my cash flow properties (for personal reasons).  My homes are fully rented (for USD $600 per month).  all are fully rehabed and i am selling for my cost of USD $35,000 for each property.  This is a wonderfully opportunity.
    If you are interested, please contact me …. or call me on 0011 1 303 579 8947.
    I would love to sell to an Australian investor!
    Regards

Participant
    @qlds007

Tim

2 posts to date both advertising your own properties for sale.

Can you answer the last question left on your other post and also advise us why these are such a "wonderful opportunities".

Profile photo of prophet3216prophet3216
    @prophet3216
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Just an update on the finance thread for the US i have had FN loan just approved by one of my new US lenders to a level of 65% on a nodoc basis which is interesting given the State of the finance market over there.

This property is yielding around 22% and is professionally managed so a 65% LVR is very very nicely cash flow positive.

Needless to say a very happy client as the rate of interest is 4.45% variable 

Richard you want to make sure you hedge your currency position.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I agree with Richard, Up until afew months ago it was impossible to get finance in the United States. Irt is starting to free up a little. You can get beteen 60-70% funding. My view is that small apartment complexes work the best. They tend to have lower maintance issues and better cashflow. Properties with very high returns tend to be in slum areas. Personally I would rather have a lower return but buy in a blue collar area. I like San Antonio. The market is still flat. Good buying in a city that will continue to grow.

Mny American do not invest in property. Part of the reason is that in the United States you can claim your expenses against your tax on your own home.

The current finance issues in America will mean that few people who are working class will get ans over the next few years. That will over time increase demand in the rental markets. If you can get finance this is a good time to buy. However if you want to do this invest the time and go over and do you own due dilligence. If you buy over the internet you deserve the result you get.  

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Participant
    @qlds007

Richard you want to make sure you hedge your currency position.

I agree although no need if the loan is in USD and the repayments are also in USD and the funds kept over there.

Profile photo of marx3bullmarx3bull
    @marx3bull

I would say it is very tough to manage a huge money in a short time to buy a house. There are also many formalities that have to be maintained that discourages people. Many one can not manage such big amount.

Profile photo of mariesmortgagemariesmortgage
    @mariesmortgage

In the us, the banks are not loaning out mortgages right now as they took the government funds and are investing
    it.  I would be careful of the Dallas market and look in Hawaii or California for a quicker recovery back to higher prices.
    you can email me with questions at [email protected]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.