All Topics / Value Adding / Ideas for ways to improve front view of house

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of bzmum04bzmum04
    Participant
    @bzmum04

I a looking at this house to reno but was after some suggestions to fix the front up. There are 2 front entrances, the original one is not even big enough for the screen door to open. A one room brick extension has been added to the original cottage so that there is now cladding, 2 diff sorts of brick, a very dated front verandah and 2 diff levels of flooring. The interior is really dark and as the living and dining windows open up to the dark, daggy verandah.

It is a fairly private location so i was hoping to figure it so i can get a more open front verandah area that can double as outdoor living space.

Any ideas appreciated.

The link is:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo359/mstoakes/105128008mm1218693466.jpg

Ta, Melanie

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

The house does not look to bad on appearances. It’s not a very clear photo though. Looks like the fence could do with replacing that’s the first thing that came to mind and not sure about how necessary that tree is.

If you we’re going to do something to the house front then maybe a tidy up with a new paint or just touch up paint around the edges, cement steps, the red bricks could just be painted and or bagged as there is not much to do. I would probably just try paint. etc.

Profile photo of Ol PaintingOl Painting
    @ol-painting

It would most certainly benefit from repainting (at least paint shades, gutters & stairs, if you can – windows)Don't forget about landscape.
    Grass around the building look untidy (at least in my opinion). The general impression from the house changes a lot if you can cut the grass on the perimeter of a house, put garden edge, few plants and mulch!
     You can cut the grass and continue your garden edge on both sides of the passage to the house – it will make entry more prominent. Use draft tolerant plants with some coloured foliage – it adds life to the overall look!

Profile photo of frinifrini
    @frini

I would get rid of the bricks above the steps, and build them out the front of the house also, in effect returning the steps around 90 degrees, to provide better access to the front door, as well as making it a focal point.
    Do some plantings to the left of the new steps, along the front of the house to get rid of the house on piers look, which makes it look a bit cheap.
    Then a good coat of paint all round, and a new front fence, or maybe just spray it black, and plant some climbers at the base of the fence to get the hedge look……

Profile photo of sallyannsallyann
    @sallyann

Agree with Frini. Also would open up the verandah if possible for better internal light. Consider skylights if you can't get enough light in (can be quite economical). Or could you go with bigger windows?

I've seen uglier :)

Profile photo of bzmum04bzmum04
    Participant
    @bzmum04

Thanks for the ideas guys. People like you are what make this such a great resource.

Profile photo of PsychiatristPsychiatrist
    @psychiatrist

First I would get rid of the shutters, maybe put in traditional QLDer ones. Also paint the house in zen or neutral colours. Thats what I would do. Its a cute place.

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

If it is possible, I would consider getting rid of the entrance on the left if that is the pokey one you mentioned. Either close it in or put a long window in there for extra light.  Then remove the steps and those other bricks.

I agree with Finni about opening up the verandah, and then paint the whole lot to make it look more 'together' and harmonious.  Not sure about that tree/shrub – would have to know what it was first.  Perhaps the shutters on the verandah could be removed from the verandah and placed over other windows if the location is hot.  If they also had a new coat of paint as well so they matched the rest of the house.

The front fence does look a bit daggy and the vine untidy although it may look glorious with a bit of a prune and fertiliser etc.  Put in some shrubs with garden edging of some kind and a nice layer of mulch or wood chips. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.