All Topics / General Property / STUDIO APARTMENTS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of LnM24LnM24
    @lnm24

Hi,

Just like to get some feedback regarding Studio apartments?

Are they good investment options? What are the pros and cons?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

LnM

Profile photo of sallyannsallyann
    @sallyann

Some banks only lend on a minimum floor area (eg won't lend on under 50m2 for example) so floor area can be critical.

Profile photo of CafankCafank
    Participant
    @cafank

I have a studio in Cairns and have never had problems with it in over 5 years. Bank didn't care about the size either. I have a good CG on it now too.

Studios have to be in good areas where people want to live in tiny homes (mine has the same tenant as 5 yrs ago) or in areas where holiday rental will do the job.

I think I would be wary about getting another one – I'm not seeing enough return on ones advertised at present, then again I would never say never……

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

Hey guys,

the banks only care about the floor size being over 50m if you need lenders mortgage insurance(LMI) and you will only attract this if you want a loan to value ratio (LVR) higher than 80%

I would only get a studio apartment if it was in a CBD of a major capital city..

all the best

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Guys just to clarify the position on studio units and financing these deals.

Anything over around 30 sq metres can be financed however some lenders are more picky than others.

Recently did a 95% Lvr on a 32 sq M owner occupied studio so it can be done.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LnM24LnM24
    @lnm24

Thanks for your input guys. Appreciate it a lot.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I am not keen on studios. if they are hard to finance, then they are harder to sell which can limit capital growth.
    Lender and LMI polcies are constantly changing too……. things may get worse (or maybe better??)

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.