All Topics / Help Needed! / Dodgy “investment” seminars

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bespokebespoke
    Participant
    @bespoke
    Has anyone noticed the amount of free or $100 investment/property seminars being promoted and run at the moment.

They all seem to have the same people as "presenters".

I recently (about 4 weeks ago) went to one of these that was touted as information about where the global market is heading, what and where to buy, the investment cycle blah blah blah. I paid $100 to attend as I am just about to start an IP portfolio and thought an investment in a few books and seminars would be a good way to get educated. Anyway, I left home at 445 am to get a train to Sydney thinking I was very smart to invest in my investment education. What I thought was a day of useful information I had paid $100 + train fares for turned out to be a 9am to 7 pm sales pitch from several different "experts" (disguised as a 1 to 2 hour talk each on their particular area of expertise) to entice you to sign up to their ridiculously expensive 2 day courses. I kept thinking when am I going to hear the info I was promised I would hear? I'll tell you when – at 7pm for 5 minutes and exactly what was on the web site.  I wasted a whole day of my weekend, had to send my 2 year old daughter to grandmas for a day and 2 nights and didn't get to see my husband for 2 days because of his shifts co-inciding with my comings and goings.

I knew the "presenters" were going to be there but their participation in the event was grossly played down in the promotional material. Now I feel like a giant fool for having paid for some one to sell to me for a whole day. The only link these presenters talks had to do with investing in property was all along the lines of a short 2 or 3 sentences about "if you do my course you'll learn how to make more money to invest in rental properties". I didn't get home till 11pm and still are non the wiser about where the property markets are heading.

I don't know what infuriates me more, wasting $100 or wasting a whole day I could have spent with my toddler.
     I also booked about 6 weeks ago to go to a seminar by Michael Yardney about where the property markets are heading etc (which is what I thought the last seminar was about). Its on next weekend and I'm wondering now if I'm going to be bombarded with another day long sales pitch?  I don't mind if they sell some of their products there or make a mention of their products in the course of talking as long as I get genuine useful information, not a teaser that I have to sign up for an overpriced course to really find out.

If someone has been to a seminar by Michael Yardney please let me know I'm not a double fool for booking. It seems to be above board but obviously my judjment isn't that good. I'm beginning to feel very jaded about the property investment industry, seems everyone is out to separate me from my money without giving what they promised. I just want to create a better life for my family without ripping off anyone else but it seems there are alot of people who don't care who they fleece.

Cheers

Profile photo of KeysToSuccessClubKeysToSuccessClub
    @keystosuccessclub

Hi there,

I went to an evening seminar with Michael Yardney and learnt some things; but you have to remember that most things that are free or minimal expense will have a degree of self promotion contained within them.  You will also need to bear in mind that they will also tend to advocate their own particular property strategy….

Mark

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Bespoke,

Here is my super secret to poverty avoidance, free education, 100% guaranteed, cash if you die, cash if you dont, special spring one time offer….

Claim a $100 refund for the wasted day.

Also go one one of the expensive seminars and claim the money back at the end, even if you liked it….

Its perfectly legal and one of the major promises that they offer if you sign up…why not exercise it…

You wouldn't be the first

Profile photo of sandy.vgsandy.vg
    Participant
    @sandy.vg

HI there….

and a wee thought for you…I have only been on this site a few weeks altho did a few years ago..but I am VERY impressed with the wealth of knowledge from most in here and very open and direct comments and advice..

maybe we should all get OUR questions together..invite (no..CHARGE EXORBITANT PRICES FOR THEIR ATTENDANCE!) these 'experts to come..and see who can offer the best deals/answers/variations/reasons etc according to OUR needs! ? Interesting thought :)

For me for now..will stick to my accountant that I know and trust, others who have been there and done it (made or lost money) and especially this website which is GREAT!..and…free!! :)

Cheers all and many thanks to the person/s who invented this site!

Sandy

Sandy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.