All Topics / Help Needed! / Broken door and lock, does tenant have to pay?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Curious_Curious_
    Participant
    @curious_

Hi,

My tenants just moved out and I noticed a partially broken door and lock. They claim that someone tried to break into the house but did not notify me at the time (around 1.5 years ago). They claim to have a police report on the incident.

Does anyone know legally if they are liable to pay, whether they have a police report or not?

Thanks,
    Michael

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Michael

I would think that the tenant would be liable unless there is a police report.  If there is a police report, that is, clear evidence that a break in did occur, then your insurance should cover it.  However, if there is no report, given the fact that it was not reported to you at all in the subsequent 1.5 years, you could probably appropriately claim that it was damage caused by the tenant with the repair costs deductible from the bond money.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of SweetparrotSweetparrot
    @sweetparrot

I am satisfied with liar. But i think tenant should inform the landlord because he/she can claim for insurance. After such a long gap he/she mayn't claim for insurance.
    Thanks
    Alabama Condos |California Condos For Sale | Condos For Sale

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I had a house abandoned and then I had some uninvited visitors who kicked the front door in, so I went to the trouble of installing a 3 points of  locking security door rather than a cheap security door. I wasn't sure if the tenant that abandoned the property should have been liable for the clean up and repairs but I fired the property manager 12 months later for failing to renew a lease and never returning my phone calls.

P.S.
    Normal doors do not keep motivated people out of houses.
    Look how easy the cops kick in doors with ram rods on the T.V shows that are on at the moment.

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    duckster wrote:

Normal doors do not keep motivated people out of houses.
    Look how easy the cops kick in doors with ram rods on the T.V shows that are on at the moment.

No and if you try to fit something stronger you are in breach of the anti fortification legislation. The law doesn't allow you to install a door that can prevent or impede police access to the premises.

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

No and if you try to fit something stronger you are in breach of the anti fortification legislation. The law doesn't allow you to install a door that can prevent or impede police access to the premises.

Wow , thanks for the tip , I could be in trouble then..lol  I guess they will have to use the back door instead.

Profile photo of GreeshaGreesha
    @greesha

Ok I am not a lawyer but anti fortification laws are targeted at biker gang club houses and residences. It gives powers to the police to remove fortifications, like fences and reinforced doors where they think necessary. They are not targeting regular home owners protecting their property. Your regular 3 point doors on a normal residence will not attrack the attention of the legislation. Also the laws are different in each state. Call your local police community relations person to enquire further.

Profile photo of Michael CampbellMichael Campbell
    @michael-campbell

Hello.
    I have just become a member of propertyinvesting.com. I joined up to gain as much info i could on property. the MAIN question i have is what is the first step to property investing?. (after gaining the knowledge ofcourse). i have saved up a small amount of money and instead of wasting it on depreciating excessories, i want to do something with it that can allow my money to work for me through property. what would you do with $10,000 in sydney in 2008?
    anxtious to hear back
    Michael Campbell

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.