All Topics / Help Needed! / Granny flats

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of SwanySwany
    @swany

Hi everyone,

My girl owns a home on the North Shore of Sydney which needs a reno of between  $30,000 – $40,000. It's a sought after location and with our labour I think it will be money well spent.

She rents a room for $160.00pw and has been doing so for a number of years, but is now thinking a self contained granny flat will give her more privacy and possible better market interest/sale price at a future date.(figures to be worked out)

I'm thinking the best approach in all this is to cost the the renos and the granny flat and do the house first.

Here's the wish list

Polish floor boards,interior paint through out,replace bedroom carpets, new light fittings,taps and reno one bathroom. Spruce up gardens. Quality flat pack kitchen and new appliances.

Budget in total will be about $60K and the house is worth about 1mill as is.

I'd be interested in some feed back on the reno as well as recommendations as to the best way to have plans drawn for the granny flat and tips for approaching council.

Thanks in advance guys and girls

Swany

Profile photo of VStarVStar
    Participant
    @vstar

Hi Swany,
    Great initiative – my two bits and bobs:
    1. Before doing anything – call up the town planner in the area and ask about doing a granny flat – they will either 1 direct you to the their Development Control Plan and say read it (and decipher it yourself) or they may be helpful and say what you need to do and what sort of approvals you might need. To find your council go to google- enter your suburn and type council and call up their number – this is the fastest/cheapest way to find out if it's even allowed to set up a granny flat before you get started.
    2. Find out in your area if anyone else has a grannyflat – that might help you with precedence with council approval. How do you find out? Either by checking out realestate.com.au to see if there are any houses for sale with granny flats in the area.
    3. Decide if they're going to have a separate entry and whether you'll have a fence from the first house to separate to the grannyflat (and factor that into your costs) example – if a fence costs $2000 to put up, how long/how much rent will it take to cover the rent?

Hope this helps (even the slightest!)

VStar!

Profile photo of SwanySwany
    @swany

Hi Vstar…..appreciate your reply. Will do as suggested.

Have a great week end.

Swany

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.