All Topics / Finance / getting 1st mortgage – via broker or bank?

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Tess

To be honest i dont think your broker will be too keen on the idea of giving you back some of his commission.

If you consider that as has been mentioned in earlier posts Brokerage commissions have recently been slashed by the Banks because of the credit crisis which means the average Broker needs to write more business than he did previously merely to stand still.

Secondly a decent mortgage broker (away from the sausage factory franchise brokers) will offer you a lot more than just a home loan and will help you structure the loan so that he can work with you both now and into the future.

If you pay peanuts you do in this industry really get monkeys.

Nothing against Mortgage Choice but really that is about the last thing you will get …..Choice.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Edvico_kvnEdvico_kvn
    @edvico_kvn
    tess85 wrote:
    Meeting a potential mortgage broker today (guy from Mortgage choice). Do you think it is worth asking for a 30% or 50% rebate on commission? My husband & I have well-paying jobs, and though this is our first property and we are young, we expect to buy a couple of IPs before we are 30.

Tess,  I'd be interested in how that Mortgage Choice MB replies to your question.  You may find those franchise organisations have internal policies that don't enable individual MB's to rebate commission to clients. 

But just bear in mind that the MB that provides the biggest rebate to you, may not necessarily provide you the best advice.  You may get a short-term financial gain from the large rebate but the advice provided might not be the best available (which will cost you in the long run).  Getting proper structuring advice is far more important than the short-term savings from the rebate.

But if the Mortgage Choice guy turns out to be an excellent MB AND is also willing to provide you a large rebate, then you've probably struck gold.  Good luck with it all

Profile photo of tess85tess85
    @tess85

Edvico, Richard, thank you for your considered replies. I hadn't realised that if we were going to get an IP a couple of years down the track, that the loan needs to be structured correctly NOW. i'll ask the Mortgage Choice guy about that, but it's only our 1st consultation today — if he doesn't turn out to be any good, I will find a better broker who is qualified to give financial advice.

I work in the financial area myself, so I'm definitely prepared to pay extra for good advice. Only problem is that I don't know that much about property (this is our first foray into the market).. looking forward to learning from all the experts on this forum!

@tess85

So, we have gone and seen our 1st MB from Mortgage Choice. He seems pretty well informed (fairly sure he was not a plumber in the morning!) and knows his calculations. (I studied annuities last year and he definitely knows his numbers). Not so sure if he knows his products since this is an area that I don't have any experience in.

We want to buy our PPOR now (550k). We also mentioned we wanted to buy our 1st IP (~300-400k) within 5 years or so. He said he would look after us for that. Many of his clients have multiple properties, all organised by him.

He mentioned:
    – redraw account
    – offset account (this was recommended to us, particularly Bankwest's one)
    – line of credit (said he didn't think this was suitable for us)

He seems to want to take us down the path of Bankwest's mortgage shredder (1 year) followed by a free switch into their pro package, the Lite home loan.

At the end of the meeting, he wanted to "stir up some ideas" that we may not have thought about yet. eg. instead of buying a PPOR now and an IP later… why not buy an IP first and rent? One of his clients owns 8-10 IPs all around Australia, but still rents, because he rents where he can't afford to buy. If we do well out of that, then we can buy a bigger PPOR. Kept going on about tax deductibility of IPs and that he could recommend someone to us if we wanted this route.

My qualms about this are:
    – I really want to buy a PPoR, a place to call my own, one where we can make changes without worrying about landlord!
    – not getting FHOG (unless we live in the IP for 6 months), also IP will incur capital gains when it comes to sell (unlike PPOR)

Didn't ask about a rebate on commission cos I felt a bit mean-spirited in doing so.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi tess

Good to hear that all the plumbers are gainfully employed elsewhere at the moment and not joining the finance industry,

Just from the initial comments you made about his advice I hope he didnt recommend a redraw facility given what you told him otherwise I would have doubt over his experience in loan structuring.

There is nothing to stop you buying an PPOR and making the loan interest only with a 100% offset account attached to it. I must confess i am not a Bank West lover as i like to see my clients settle on the due date and their levels of service both through the loan process and afterwards are a disgrace.

I have heard of numerous clients who did not settle on the required date as the Bank were not ready and incurred penalties.

Anyway we move on.

If you use a redraw then the interest on the funds redrawn (presumably for a deposit for your first IP) will not be tax deductible as the original purpose of the loan was not for investment purposes.

Also i cannot see why you would not consider a Line of Credit for a client who clearly wishes to purchase additional properties as this clearly identifies the funds use by having a separate account.

I must admit i own my own PPOR (which i could probably rent out for $1000 / week) and multiple IP's but my wife would never listen if i told her that I wanted to rent out our PPOR and rent ourselves. Sometimes you need to accept the fact that security of tenure is important and peace of mind especially when you are starting out is essential.

This does not mean that you have to live there for the rest of your days and this is why the structure fo the loan is important.
    Using a redraw is just not the way forward and in my opinion fails all foundation requirements of establishing an investment portfolio.

Hate to say but maybe he was the plumbers apprentice in the morning …….

Profile photo of Edvico_kvnEdvico_kvn
    @edvico_kvn

Tess,

Totally agree with Richard on his comments above:

Bankwest have a track record of providing very slow service and causing delayed settlements (causing heaps of stress for FH buyers who are purchasing property for the first time).  This goes to show that borrowers should not think that the loan product  with lowest rate is actually best for you.  Consider the Lender's service, rates elasticity (see below), structure and features as well.

I also agree you should make your first purchase a PPOR as it will enable you to get FHOG $7k plus exemption from Stamp Duty (NSW SD for $500k property is a whopping $18k!).  Being a Sydney sider, you must have felt first-hand (or heard from friends in the same renting boat) the agony of finding decent proprerty to lease recently.  Having 40 people competing for the one rental property, Landlord jacking up rent, Banks forcing tenants out because Landlord defaulted on investment loan…..etc.  Nothing beats owning your own place with no external pressures associated with being a tenant.

Getting a loan with offset facility is probably best as you can park excess cash into the offset account (to save interest expense) and not "poison" your loan balance by making redraws (for private purposes such as paying for groceries).  I geuss the Mortgage Choice guy emphasised you don't "need" an offset facility because Bankwest Rate Tracker product doesn't have one.  It has a very low honeymoon rate but lacks offset facility (which is important if u plan to use equity to purchase IP down the track).

With the credit crunch happening, today's lowest rate product may not be tomorrow's rate product.  Lenders don't raise (or cut) their variable rates in the same amount as the official RBA rate rise/cut anymore.  Bankwest rate tracker may be comparatively low now, but you can't be guaranted that they STAY low for the long term.

Tess, it sounds like you might benefit from considering the 6 year Capital Gains tax main residence exemption rule.  I've actually written a short flyer/example of how this rule works.  Feel free to email me should you wish read a soft-copy of it.

Kevin

@tess85

Thank you Richard & Kevin for your comments!

Qlds007 wrote:
    There is nothing to stop you buying an PPOR and making the loan interest only with a 100% offset account attached to it.

At the moment, this is our current intention. (unless it will negatively affect our tax situation when we buy our IP a few years later? I need to read up some more on this)

Qlds007 wrote:
    Also i cannot see why you would not consider a Line of Credit for a client who clearly wishes to purchase additional properties as this clearly identifies the funds use by having a separate account.

I believe that the Mortgage Choice broker had tailored his spiel to us as "1st home buyers" and therefore wanted to make things as simple as possible. He gave a short anecdote of a client who had a LoC and had paid off "bugger all" on the loan (his words, not mine). He then said persuasively "and that's why we're not going to talk about it today" & moved the topic onto redraws/offsets. (UItimately, he recommended an offset account for us over a redraw one, specifically Bankwest's product).

Altogether, he gave us the impression that he was here to save us a lot of trouble, because he knew about all the products & he could cut out a lot of the work for us.

He distinctly said that we would sign up on a honeymoon rate for 1 year (Mortgage shredder) then get switched over to the professional Lite package with Bankwest, getting credit cards (paid off via autosweep from offset acount) and an offset accounts all with Bankwest. He said that Bankwest was the only bank to offer 2 offset accounts, which could come in handy for hubby & I.

I'm reading up about LoC now and they are supposed to be good for people who are disciplined with their finances… which we are. Until I find out something about LoC which is far better than an offset account, my preference still lies with the offset account

@tess85
    Edvico_kvn wrote:

Bankwest have a track record of providing very slow service and causing delayed settlements (causing heaps of stress for FH buyers who are purchasing property for the first time).  This goes to show that borrowers should not think that the loan product  with lowest rate is actually best for you.  Consider the Lender's service, rates elasticity (see below), structure and features as well.

this is new to me. The MB assured me that bankwest was super fast (3 working days for no LMI, 5 working days for LMI).

Edvico_kvn wrote:

I also agree you should make your first purchase a PPOR as it will enable you to get FHOG $7k plus exemption from Stamp Duty (NSW SD for $500k property is a whopping $18k!).  Being a Sydney sider, you must have felt first-hand (or heard from friends in the same renting boat) the agony of finding decent proprerty to lease recently.  Having 40 people competing for the one rental property, Landlord jacking up rent, Banks forcing tenants out because Landlord defaulted on investment loan…..etc.  Nothing beats owning your own place with no external pressures associated with being a tenant.

I think we will buy a PPOR 1st. We are newly married, want to move into our 1st home, not to mention that since I was 18yo I have been saving up to buy a house. Most girls spend their money shopping but I always put my spare cash towards a deposit :) and now we have saved enough to buy our place when many of our friends are still renting.

Edvico_kvn wrote:
    Getting a loan with offset facility is probably best as you can park excess cash into the offset account (to save interest expense) and not "poison" your loan balance by making redraws (for private purposes such as paying for groceries).  I geuss the Mortgage Choice guy emphasised you don't "need" an offset facility because Bankwest Rate Tracker product doesn't have one.  It has a very low honeymoon rate but lacks offset facility (which is important if u plan to use equity to purchase IP down the track).

The MB assured us that Bankwest had a great offset account. I've been trying to find it on the net, he was referring to this package: Lite Plus. http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/Home_Loans/Lite_Plus_Home_Loan/index.aspx

(although with an introductory honeymoon rate, using the Mortgage Shredder product)

Edvico_kvn wrote:

Tess, it sounds like you might benefit from considering the 6 year Capital Gains tax main residence exemption rule.  I've actually written a short flyer/example of how this rule works.  Feel free to email me should you wish read a soft-copy of it.

Thank you very much! I will email you shortly.

Participant
    @qlds007

Tess

Dont get me wrong I am not recommending in any small way that you take a LOC FOR your PPOR loan in fact the only given what you have told us is to take an interest only loan with 100% offset.

Bank West Rate Tracker product DOES NOT have one attached.

Also they are certainly  not one of 2 institution to offer such a product so think maybe he was having you on.
    The service levels relate more to documentation and settlement rather than approval.

With most lenders you can obtain an immediate approval or decliniture by way of electonic lodgment and this takes merely a matter of seconds. Such decision is then usually subject to provision of the required documentation. The problem lies when you come to settle and Bank West tell you they are not ready. Your Vendor does not want to hear such a strory and certainly has the right and in most cases will charge default interest. Bank West unfortunately will not cover this for you.

To give you an example i did a commercial deal with Bank West at the end of last year where the loan was 100% approved and the Credit Manager rang the client to confirm this. 3 Attempts at documentation later settlement day was upon with no actual documents to sign. The client was fuming and Bank West ended up settling albeit a day or two late without any documents having been signed. Client was charged default interest and the Bank ran the risk of not being able to register its mortgage had their been a title problem.

You need a loan and a lender that has what you want not only from Day 1 but can evolve with you during your changes of circumstances.

Dont forget it is not always necessary to put all of your funds into a deposit and pay the loan off as quickly as possible as your path for the future may change and the ideal home for today may become a IP of tomorrow.  This is where a LOC can be useful in your loan planning.

Profile photo of fujitsufujitsu
    @fujitsu

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good broker to buy my first home. I live in Adelaide. I have seen one from Bernie Lewis and they have offred me a pro package from colonial/cba with .7% off with no establishment fee and and a few other extras.
    I think the deal is pretty good but thought the broker was a bit pushy and wanted to make a sale.
    I also want comments about refund home loans where they give you part of their commissions. Refend home loans is offering $500 for a $350,000 home loan.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Fujitsu

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with.

This day and age you dont have to sit down with your mortgage broker as you can deal through email and online and in fact many of my deals are done for clients througout Australia who i have never actually me.

With regards to brokers i guess it all depends on what you are after. If you want a discount job then sure go to someone like Refund but dont expect much. If you owned a new mercedez car would you take it to the dealer or some back street cash only garage.

What i am getting at is there is often more to the loan than merely a quick fix low interest style product. Most clients use a Broker as they are lokming for a longer term relationship and for someone to structure the loan correctly so that they can buy additional properties in the future whether they be IP's or another PPOR.

Personally i am not a great lover of the CBA/Colonial  deal as the MISA offset is not a real offset in the full terms of the word and think there are a couple of better options. 

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.