All Topics / Value Adding / Constrcution work in the unit without council approval

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of DANIKODANIKO
    @daniko

Dear All;
    Does anybody has any experience if its about construction works inside the unit, which were done wihtout council approval? I am planing some work whcih officailly requried council approval, but all my friends and some builders suggesting me not to bother myself with the process.
    What would be the worse scenario if council finds out about the work and lack of permission? 
    Can strata/council get into my property without permission? 
    Please advice

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Worst case scenario – you could be made to put back up what you pulled down or take down what you put up.  Although I have never heard of this happening.  Someone please correct me if they have heard otherwise.

The more probable problem you will face is if/when you go to sell it.  I can't imagine there will be too many buyers who will want a property that has had renovations done without council approval.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of DANIKODANIKO
    @daniko

Hi Linar;
    Thank you for your comments. I am not going to sell the property, at least for next 12-15 years so its not issue :)
    Are you a builder, if I can ask?
    Regards

@daniko

Anyone else with some experience on the subject?

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Are we talking structural or just cosmetic? You dont want to fall into a potential liability situation if it is an IP and an accident occurs.
    mick

@daniko

Hi newbi;
    Its structural work and IP so I think I should not take a risk to do it without approval and insurance?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

The other issue if there is structural work, you do not own the building. If there is so much as 1 mm of settlement affecting any other property within the strata scheme you may be sued for undertaking unapproved work, being an unlicensed builder, carrying out building work without authorisation etc. The body corporate may also need to approve any work within your unit esp the removal of walls – you may need to pay their consultant's fees for the consideration/review of the plans.

@daniko

Dear All;

Just more info collected through some research.
    I have spoken to few builders and all of them had many years experience with doing reno/construction in the units and all of them said -dont bother yourself with council/strata approval. Its taking lots of time and you have to pay for nothing, They claim that most of properties in Australia would fail if we check their compliance with Australian building regulations and many of them shoudl have never been approved.

Profile photo of hanoixuahanoixua
    Participant
    @hanoixua

Hi Daniko
    If is structural work, engineer and council approval is highly recommended. You get liability for 10 years after the work done. Basically, it is prevent any accident happen in the first place, when everything is correct compliance with Aus building code. Builder job is build and do building work, but they hard to reach when thing go wrong – usually few months or years down the track. Fix something wrong is much costly than do it right from the start. Builder usually base on their experiences and want to do thing fastest and cheapest possible, but each situation is difference and they may miss some important things. That's why engineer still needed. Council normally have experienced engineer to check those stuff. If you see them first it will save you many thing later on.

DANIKO wrote:
    They claim that most of properties in Australia would fail if we check their compliance with Australian building regulations and many of them shoudl have never been approved.

This is not correct. Proper builders build things compliance with Australian regulations – good product. The bad builders try to cut corner – terrible job. Avoid them if you can.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

And you wonder why builders get a bad name? Asked to do 'illegal' building works, that's a good place to start.

If you want to get the latest info, check out the shenanagins at Wooloomooloo Wharf with several owners having bought 2 or three units, combined them knocking out walls. There has been a lot written in recent weeks.

@daniko

Thank you to all of you, I think you are right, better no to take the risk

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Hi Scott,

Do you have a link for this for the curious?

Thanks
    Mick

Profile photo of CL3028CL3028
    Participant
    @cl3028

which state are you in, Daniko?
    if in victoria, it's highly unlikely that council would ask you to pull down the illegal strcutures, it's more likely that you would get fined if council found out…(but really unless if someone reported to council, or if council checked their aerial map for particular reasons, it's unlikely that they would know)

i think it's more like insurance implications that you have to worry about.

Profile photo of Beth AshtonBeth Ashton
    Participant
    @beth-ashton

Daniko, I work in Property Construction + Developement and most of the Comments above are fair…

Think of the ramifications faulty structural works (including plumbing, electrical) carried out by an unregistered builder could have on the next occupant of your property. It might cost you a little less to have engineering and a qualified builder on board, but the aftermath of a potential accident (down the track) could quite possibly cost you thousands…. or may be hazardous to say the least!

Cover your back – check out Yellow Pages for a list of Builders in your area (and make sure to check their License and Certification!) http://www.yellowpages.com.au

Good luck!
    Beth Ashton

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.