All Topics / Help Needed! / Removal of internal flat wall

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of miikemiike
    Participant
    @miike

Hi Guys,

I am at present organising the removal of a kitchen/lounge wall in my flat to make it open plan.

I have provided the architectural drawrings, etc to an engineer to write up a report, etc for what needs to be done to remove the wall.

I am having difficulty working out if I require approval from the coucil or body corp as the work will be under 10k and is not an exterior wall.

Does anyone know what approvals I would require to complete the work or can it be done to engineers specifications with a licensed builder without approvals as it is not an exterior wall?

All replies are much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Miike

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

You would need approval of the body corporate before proceeding, if only to notify other tenants/owners of the noise and possible disruption during building. If there were objections, I really am not sure where you stand but can't see how anyone could stop the work if it does not infringe on their property or affect the building's structural integrity.

As far as I'm aware, you would not need to go to council for this work, but I could be wrong so best to check with the corporate manager.

Keen to know how you go with this as planning something similar myself.

cheers,
    Carlin

Profile photo of miikemiike
    Participant
    @miike

Thanks Carlin,

Will let you know.

Cheers,
    Miike

Profile photo of AAZAAZ
    Participant
    @aaz

We have just done the opposite and added an internal wall to a large penthouse to change it from a 2br to a 3br. Cost was under $4,000 (added $40,000 to the property value) with no electrical and plumbing works, yet our local planning authority still insisted on inspecting the work. Each council and body corporate is different so you should check with yours first. It is a simple phone call and this way you should get the right information upfront as it could be costly if you go ahead without approval from either. There is no one size fits all when it comes to building works no matter how small. Make an appointment with the Senior Town Planner if you need to. Adrian and Amber Zenere http://www.RealEstateDevelopmentClub.com

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I know that in the NT you need Body Corp approval to remove or alter any load bearing walls.  You don't need approval to put up walls.

But, as per the other posts, check your local Council.

Cheers

K

Participant
    @miike

Hi Guys,

All the posts have been great.
    Finally have started getting it done.
    Engineer is coming in to inspect the wall tomorrow after reviewing the architectual plans.
    Looking at approx 2k as it is a load bearing wall, includes, engineering work, support beam, fire rating and installation.
    Going to rip down the wall myself with a few mates.
    Renderer will be approx 500 for 3×2.6.
    No need for approval by council as I've been informed, however body corp req a copy of the engineering documentation for insurance which is expected.

Will let you know how it all pans out.

Cheers all…have a great weekend. :)
    miike

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

No council approval???? This is structural work, it is a defined term (erection/demolition of a wall) – whether loadbearing or not. I would seek a second opinion unless you got the advice from council.

Participant
    @miike

Thanks Scott No Mates,

Looking into it further :).

Cheers,
    Miike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.