Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of soloinvestorsoloinvestor
    Participant
    @soloinvestor
    Join Date: 2006
    Post Count: 39

    Anyone done any research on investing in Property in Cambodia? My husband and I are looking into that at the moment and wondered if anyone else has interest in that area?

    Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph
    Join Date: 2008
    Post Count: 38

    Hi

    I have looked into this as well.  As a foreign investor you are not allowed to own land, unless you are in partnership with a Cambodian Citizen – or 2 really – as you are only allowed a controlling interest in 49%, so you split the other 51% between the two others (so you retain the majority share) – it's all a bit complicated, but not impossible.  You may buy land as such but with a lease, not freehold without the need to be in a partnership with a Cambodian.  The rules may be changing this year though……  You may buy an apartment, as that is not considered as land.

    I am trying to find out more about the Cambodian citizenship requirement.  I have a close relative who is a Cambodian citizen, but she is a minor so I have to investigate whether she could be my partner in a purchase in Cambodia.

    If you get any further with this I'd be interested to hear from you.

    Rudi

    Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph
    Join Date: 2008
    Post Count: 38

    Hi

    I have looked into this as well.  As a foreign investor you are not allowed to own land, unless you are in partnership with a Cambodian Citizen – or 2 really – as you are only allowed a controlling interest in 49%, so you split the other 51% between the two others (so you retain the majority share) – it's all a bit complicated, but not impossible.  You may buy land as such but with a lease, not freehold without the need to be in a partnership with a Cambodian.  The rules may be changing this year though……  You may buy an apartment, as that is not considered as land.

    I am trying to find out more about the Cambodian citizenship requirement.  I have a close relative who is a Cambodian citizen, but she is a minor so I have to investigate whether she could be my partner in a purchase in Cambodia.

    If you get any further with this I'd be interested to hear from you.

    Rudi

    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Join Date: 2001
    Post Count: 16,213

    Cambodian standards of law are not the same, or even close, to that it Australia. If you get into any sort of dispute, it is usually the most powerful, or the one with the most powerful connections that will win. Police and government officials are easliy bribed too. So be very careful.

    Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    https://terryw.com.au/
    Email Me

    Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://Terryw.com.au/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.