All Topics / Value Adding / Does converting half a garage into a bedroom add value?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph

I am looking at purchasing a 4 bed property.  It's an unusual layout.  On the ground floor there are 2 bedrooms, bathroom, living area, separate dining / kitchen area and a double garage.  On the next floor is a massive master bedroom with a beautiful en suite and walk-in robe.  On the "next" floor, which is not really a next floor as it's only about a half height stairway, and built above the garage is another bedroom / reading room / office / anything really – the key feature being fabulous views out over Moreton Bay.

There is also a large carport on the side of the house which could easily be enclosed.

I was wondering if / how much value there would be in converting one half of the garage into another bedroom.  It would be in the same sort of area of the house as the two downstairs bedrooms so in theory it could work quite well.  Is this the sort of thing I would need planning permission for, or can you just do it?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Rudi
    x

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

going from 4 bed to 5 wont add value, in fact it may lose value with one less car space. why have 5 bedrooms if theres nowhere for all these people to park?

if you had a 2 bed and changed it to 3 it may be different.

"There is also a large carport on the side of the house which could easily be enclosed."

I very much doubt that it would be easy. yes you need planning permission.

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    rudo1ph wrote:

There is also a large carport on the side of the house which could easily be enclosed.

Should be quite easy to turn it into a TV or games room .
    Like crashy said, if you've already got 4 br it should be enough for most people. Unless you're looking at renting the rooms individually.

cheers

Profile photo of erikkoerikko
    @erikko

it doesn't add value because sometimes in a house you need other space for other needs other than the bedroom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.