All Topics / Value Adding / Adding a second storey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello

I own 2 units (only 2 on block) in Melb. and am considering adding a second storey to them. They were built in the mid 70's and are solid brick with concrete floors.

How can I find out if the slab will support a second storey.
    Has anyone done anything like this or is able to give me an idea as to what somethig like this could cost.

Thank you
    Elka

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Consider using lightweight construction ie timber framed/clad extension including fire-rating (if necessary)

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello IP

Thank you for your response.
    I was hoping to be able to add in brick veneer and then probably render it to update the whole look of the place.

Where would one go about looking for the plans used to build these units. Do councils keep these?
    Would they include details about the slab?
    Is there any way to have the slab tested?

Excuse the stupid questions but I have never built anything or added a second storey before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Elka

Profile photo of AAZAAZ
    Participant
    @aaz

Hi Elka

We would start by contacting the local council who should still have a copy of the original engineering drawings and architectural plans on file.

Then we would engage a structural engineer to take a look at the drawings and have him visit the site if necessary.

Between council and a qualified engineer you should find that they should answer most of your questions.

Hope this helps!

Adrian and Amber
    http://www.RealEstateDevelopmentClub.com

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Adrian and Amber

Thank you for that very helpful information.
    I now have a starting point.

Cheers
    Elka

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.