All Topics / Help Needed! / good or bad tenant ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of nickelbennickelben
    @nickelben

i owned a small retail shopping centre with a small number of shops. There is a prospective client who apply to use one of my shops for an adult shop. 
    I would like to have opinion from investor out there, is an adult shop a good or bad tenant for the shopping centre ? some told me adult shop will scare many customer away , and may affect shops that are next to it .
    Okay , whatever your opinion i would to hear it ….thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of gibbo1gibbo1
    Participant
    @gibbo1

A number of factors will need to be considered,

1st thing it would be worth talking to your existing tennants to ask their ophions.  There is no point leasing one shop and then have 4 vacate.  Adult shops image is changing alot from a few years ago.  They used to be seen as a place were not so nice guys would go for peep shows, etc.  I believe young females are using these stores alot more nowadays. 

Other things to consider will be the hours they operate, the location of the store compared to the rest of the center (is it towards the back or the 1st thing customers see when they enter). 

Most stores appear responably discrete from the front so you would want to discuss in the lease what is and isn't appropriate.

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

an adult shop is a bad tenant. People who want to buy sex articles will buy them over the internet.
    Usually they are cover-ups.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

There are a few issues to consider – as pointed out above, if it will cause the loss of other tenants and greater vacancies your may decide against it, secondly – do you have a moral objection to this business? Will council permit the usage (severely restricted by location & zoning)?

Generally go for a net rental – like brothels, they prefer minimal intervention by the owner and will look after their own maintenance (they prefer to use their own contractors who do not feel intimidated by the surroundings), once established they remain in the premises for a long time due to difficulties in relocating.

Profile photo of nickelbennickelben
    @nickelben

thanks for all of you given valuable opinion and point of view.  I personally go against the idea of getting an adult shop, as you know that will be negative for other tenants . But was urged by property agent to take serious consideration as the shop had been empty for more than 6 months.  In this difficult situation, i have taken a second thought but very much worry what will be the consequences behind it . Woooooo…… it is difficult decision to make ….any more help ? please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.