All Topics / Help Needed! / How to find out whether subdivision is allowed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph

Please be gentle…..I'm new!!!

How do you find out if you would be allowed to subdivide a large block?

For example – If I bought a house on a 1400 square metre block, there is obviously space to subdivide the land and either build on, or sell part of the land.  However, I know there must be rules and regulations about this so how do I find out if I would be able to do this?  I am assuming I contact my local council?  If so, who would I speak to, what questions do I ask etc?

Thanks for you help peeps.

Rudi

Profile photo of don juandon juan
    @don-juan

Hi Rudi

You can contact your local council and ask what days and times the town planner is available. They are made available to answer questions just like yours. Then you can go in and have an informal chat about your options and they will guide you through the process.

Good Luck
    Don.

Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph

Fantastic, thank you for that Don.

Rudi

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

Keep in mind that an average subdivision can cost up to 80.000 or more dollars.
    Don't expect it to be 5000 dollars :)

Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph

Thanks Scamp….I discovered that this arvo when I called the council!!!  Ah well, onto plan D, E or F!!!

Rudi

Profile photo of CHISCHIS
    Participant
    @chis

Subdivision can still be lucrative despite up front costs. You need to do research on what you can sell the land parcels for as the final product. Is it worth the pus and pain? If you will make a motza, go for it

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

Also remember that if you subdivide you may have to take care of complex sewage, road frontage, trees , street lights, and if you want to do larger projects it could take years before you dry certain parts up , or you might need to build bridges etc. In any case, even a cheap battleaxe subdivision can be expensive.

Maybe you can think about strata subdivision

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.