All Topics / Help Needed! / Cassette tape to ipod

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of DonnaDonna
    Participant
    @donna

Hi All

Over the years I like many of us have collected lots of resource material from various sources and in various formats including cassettes  from Steve, Tales of the Trenches

I have been searching in vain to find a easy solution to uploading my cassette tapes to my computer so I can put them on my ipod.  I have downloaded some free trial software and played my cassette tape to my computer but it didn't really record good and needs a lot of time in fixing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how this can be done easily.  OR better still if someone actually provides this service at a reasonable cost?

Cheers   Donna

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

I apologise if this is a dumb question.  Did you run a cable between your cassette headphone jack to the PC mike jack? If the quality is still bad, I dont think anyone else can do better.  This type of recording should at least be 95% same quality.

Profile photo of PudestconPudestcon
    @pudestcon

G'day Donna,

I have a lot of records that I want to do the same thing with so I went to Woolworths and purchased a cheap ($130 I think) device that plays records tapes and CDs….  The best bit is it has a USB port for recording to a memory stick then wack it into the computer USB port and let your software do it's thing to provide the format you want.  Voila!!! Pretty good reproduction as well.  I've never tried Mathew's suggestion but don't see why that wouldn't work for your cassettes.  In my case my old record player didn't work anyway so I had to purchase something anyway.
    Good luck with it

Pud

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

There is a program called Free CD to WAV MP3 WMA AMR AC3 AAC Ripper 2.0 down loadable from
    http://www.amlsoft.com/ for FREE that converts CD files into MP3 for an IPOD.

They also have a program called Easy Audio Recorder 3.1 that would record from your microphone input or AUX in input of your sound card from a cassette directly into MP3 format which is what you require for the IPOD.
    It costs $17 US dollars
    So you would feed the speaker output from the cassette into a 3.5 mm stereo jack into a cable and then to a 3.5 mm stereo plug into the AUX in connection of computer.
    The danger is if you turn up the volume too much when using the mic input you may over drive the microphone input thus it sounds bad.
    Also you may have an impedance mismatch I assume the cassette recorder and computer input would both be 8 ohms impedance.
    If one is 16 ohms you may be able to find a device to match the impedance from 8 ohms to 16 ohms but this would be a rare problem.

Profile photo of DonnaDonna
    Participant
    @donna

Thanks Guys

Pud, could you be a little more specific about the device you got from Wollies, sounds easy and thats what I really need as I am not tooo techno savy.

Cheers Donna

Profile photo of PudestconPudestcon
    @pudestcon

Sorry Donna,

I told you a lie…. well an untruth anyway.  The device does everything I say except play cassettes.  It was purchased from Big W and is an AWA Turntable/CD Player & MP3 Card-Slot device model number UCE1168.  It plays vinyl records, CDs and has an AM/FM digital tuner. The interface is USB 2.0 and has an SD Cardslot so you can record from vinyl records and CDs to MP3 format.  On the back of the device it does have the standard red and white jacks labeled AUX IN so in theory you should be able to connect your cassette player to these jacks and record to MP3 direct.
    I hope this helps Donna although not exactly what you were hoping.

Cheers Pud

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.