All Topics / Help Needed! / Question on where to find median house prices for a suburb 15 years ago

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of costacosta
    Participant
    @costa

Hi all,

Was looking to perform some area due diligence and was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find data on median house/unit and land prices for an area 15 years ago. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

hi Costa,

I know of a new web site that has just started giving sales history of houses for free…
    I find it invaluable as you can find the details on a whole street at a time too.
    go to… http://www.onthehouse.com.au
    you can search the entire price & date history of a house that normally you have to pay for…

let me know if this helps you at all

regards

mackar

Profile photo of costacosta
    Participant
    @costa

Hi Mackar,

Thanks for the great link, unfortunately the site doesn't offer any reports for VIC which is where i'm looking to buy.  

-Costa 

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you are looking for historical median prices you will be out of luck. The analysts only shifted away from average prices a couple of years ago.

Profile photo of goodrumgoodrum
    @goodrum

Costa, this may be of interest.

Was in the local Victorian newspaper and linked to this site; (courtesy Heraldsun):

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/files/median%20house%20prices%20by%20suburb.pdf

Is a breakdown of Victorian, metro and rural towns, suburbs and cities of changes in house prices the last decade.

Also, if you would name the few places you might like a little older info, eg 1994 median prices, courtesy of Victrian Valuer General I will list them up here, or PM me…it is in paper form and I can't get the figures up via a link..

Participant
    @costa

Thanks Sam, that's brilliant.  Is there any chance you have the 1993 median price info for Sunshine specifically?  And I'd love to get my hands on the unit equilalent of that median prices link if you happen to have it.  By the way when you say getting older info courtesy of the Victorian Valuer General how did you manage to get that info?   Again thanks for your help!

-Costa

Profile photo of goodrumgoodrum
    @goodrum

I happen to have 1994 median house price for Sunshine: $84,500, also, the 2004: $240,000, so that is a change of  growth of  184%. It only has the "house" data, note that it doesn't have unit info..

I got the 1994-2005 growth figures from a friend who had got them also from Heraldsun, basically a reporter just did a story and featured change in growth prices a few years ago, much like the paper did with the current statistics.

The figures are all from the Victorian Valuer General statistics.

This link should help you pinpoint getting the Valuer General statistics:

http://www.land.vic.gov.au/Land/lcnlc2.nsf/childdocs/-418EED712A81C5AE4A256A0A0015CDC1-26C8409B2467569D4A256A0A001DAC6F-4FF5582EDD1DD6B9CA256E5F0014C0EE?open

In particular, (excerpt from this link site):

I require median prices over the last 10 years. Is this information available?

Yes, this information is available for through Property Information and Sales for subscribers via LANDATA®.

Where can I research trends, property prices and forecasts of residential, commercial, industrial and rural property sales statistics?

Through Online Services Property Sales Information (PRISM) for registered subscribers. To subscribe, contact Landata on (03) 8636 2456 or email [email protected]

Where can I purchase the publication “A Guide to Property Values”?

You can order your copy on-line or email [email protected] or phone (03) 8636 2456.

Can I access information on the Internet about the Annual Property Sales Statistics Publication?

The Guide to Property Values is the most comprehensive and authoritative reference for all types of property prices including residential, commercial, industrial and rural. This annual publication shows property statistics across Victoria, which is produced using data obtained from Valuer-General Victoria, is available in hardcopy, CD or PDF format.

The guide contains many statistics tables and graphs, including 1985-2007 sales volumes and median and mean prices by local government areas/municipalities; 1996-2007 for suburb/township, 1985-2006 for number and total value sales for all residential, industrial and commercial transactions in rural and metropolitan areas.

Also, I have noticed this site, haven't used or bought anything, but looks to have interesting info:

http://www.propertyvalue.com.au/faq.php

Participant
    @costa

Thanks for all that info Sam, that's pretty much what i've been looking for (especially "a guide to property values") and should help greatly.

Regards,
    Costa

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Hi Costa,

Not quite sure why 15 yo data is relevant due diligence in todays market, but you could also try streetsales.com.au. You have to pay ($20 for 3 hours) and Vic data comes on line soon. NSW and QLD data certainly show the information that youhave requested, so I dont see why Vic data would be any different.

Mick

Participant
    @costa

Hi Mick,

I figured the data would help flush out areas in my search for a suburb to invest in but i've managed to get my hands on 10 year data which I think will do the trick anyway.  I'm not putting a huge emphasis on this data but it's nice to be able to see the long term trend in different areas.  Thanks for the link btw i'll keep an eye on it.

Costa

Profile photo of steve14916steve14916
    @steve14916

Hi Costa,

The best I have found is the comm bank site;

http://www.commbank.com.au/propertyvalueguide/

This charts the median prices by month back to 2003 for my town.  Its updated monthly but usually takes to around 20th of the month. 

cheers

Steve
    Ocean Grove

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.