All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Display Homes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

Just after any advice anyone can give me on investing in Display Homes.  I've done my research and the numbers stack up nicely with 8% return plus depreciation with a rental agreement for 2 years and possible extensions.  Anyone have any experience with these types of properties and suggestions for things to look out for?

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

Can you put your maths here ? Coz 8% return sounds like you are buying the property with a 50% discount :)

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

8% rental return plus depreciation to be added to it :-)

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Compare the purchase price to the surrounding similar properties. Display homes are notorious for adding the rental component to the purchase price. Simple example, normal rental would be $400 per week, you are offered rent of $500 per week, wahoo says you, but in the background, $5K has been added to the purchase price. This instantly offsets the vendors increased rent and over hte life of the loan will cost you more than you will get in the extra rent.

That said if it is in a high grwoth area, it may be worth the premium. Withour further details (not needed here) it is hard to make the call. So look at your numbers and research, research, research, dont get stars in your eyes over the 8% return, find out if that is realistic and sustainable.

All the best,mick

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

No stars here mate, this will be ip property numbers 8 & 9, i've done my due diligence i've just not purchased this type of property before, yes they are in growth areas, and yes they have a slight premium on them, but they are also finished to an extremely high standard, and in areas with high rental demand, so just wondering if anyone else had any tips.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

hmm…8 and 9 IP… Sure you have more experience that most of us

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Just ensure that the display home company will undertake a suitable refurb before vacating- a show home is high wear and tear especially on cupboards, door furniture, light switches etc.

Check the comparables in the area and the rentals as part of the dd

Profile photo of reddyreddy
    @reddy

what area did you buy  your property?

regards
    reddy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.