All Topics / Help Needed! / Is the Great Australian Dream a croc?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ABC_reporterABC_reporter
    Participant
    @abc_reporter
    I'm working on ABC television's new youth current affairs show The Hack Half Hour. Hosted by Steve Cannane, The Hack Half Hour is a single-issue, 30 minute panel-style program which will air on Monday nights at 8.30pm EST on ABC2.

It aims to be a gritty, raw approach to current affairs using young people's experiences as the focal point. Our core audience are 15 -35 year olds

I'm producing a show on the property market. The Great Australian Dream is to own your own home. But with prices so high and interest rates increasing this is not looking likely for a lot of people. I'm looking for the following types of people for the discussion because young people feel really torn about what they should do:

• Someone who bought and lost
    • Someone who bought and won
    • Someone who chose to travel
    • Someone who chose to party
    • People who chose to rent instead
    • Someone who feels they missed the boat
    • Siblings or friends who have split the debt
    • Still living at home saving

Let me know if this is you or if you know someone who fits the bill. I can be reached on [email protected]

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

This forum is a good place to start looking. How about you also find someone 50+ years old who has heard year after year that "property is more expensive than ever before, its harder for the young ones to get in". 

I struggle to pitty those who claim its everyone elses fault that they cannot purchase property.  If you really really want something, you can usually get out there and get it.  It does take sacrifice.

Profile photo of Jon ChownJon Chown
    @jon-chown

I'm sure that you will do a great job on this very important Topic.   While I don't fit into any of your categories, I would like to bring one point to you attention (just in case you miss it).   The average new house size today has more than doubled overthe last 20 years, consequently is would be fair to expect that average house prices have increased.   Not withstanding these comments affordability has certainly increased but then so have the gadgets that we find that we can't live without.   Unfortunately these gadgets cost money to buy and maintain and in many cases these items of self gratification come before saving for a deposit for many.

I can share astory about a young couple who were renting a 45m2 one bedroom unit from us.   Over a period of time I got to know them and we had struck up a passing friendship.   One day I asked them if they felt cramped in their small unit to which they replied:- sure Jon but we were renting a house 8k from the City where we work, we had busy jobs and one of them did some shift work which necessitated them to have two cars.   They found that they were not getting ahead as quickly as they wished, neither were they able to save enough for the deposit for their firt property that they so desperately wanted.  They had a heart to heart and decided upon a corse of action which included selling one of the cars ($6,500 into savings).   The weekly saving on running and parking costs were in the vercinity of $100 – again straight into savings.   The other car was only used on weekends or on rainy days so more saving.   They both caught public transport or rode a bike to work.   By moving closer to work and accepting a smaller not so comfortable home they saved a further $120 a week on rent – straight into savings.   By having a plan and sacrificing a little, within two years they had saved over $30K and have now purchased their own cheapie two bedroom unit.   It can be done but the desire to do it has to be greater than the wish to be like your friends and live for the moment.

Good luck with the programe

Jon

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    Jon Chown wrote:
    The average new house size today has more than doubled overthe last 20 years, consequently is would be fair to expect that average house prices have increased.

To add to what  Jon said , not only has the house size doubled over the last 20 years but thanks to "GW" it needs to include a more expensive Solar HWS, mandatory insulation, grey water diversion systems, rain water tanks, etc. Land developers in the new estates are in a similar situation, they have to provide a certain % for parks and recreation area, better roads, broadband cable, Noise barriers and retaining walls in some cases,etc. All of the above cost money to buy and install so someone has to pay for it.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    harb wrote:
    …Land developers in the new estates are in a similar situation, they have to provide a certain % for parks and recreation area, better roads, broadband cable, Noise barriers and retaining walls in some cases,etc.

It is not that developers in a previous life did not have to provide the infrastructure but the service providers (state and local governments) would 'invest' in the areas expecting their return over 20-30 years as opposed to the current situation of having developer contributions to fund these works.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.