All Topics / Help Needed! / What to do when changing PM’s with a current lease?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of The ChaserThe Chaser
    Participant
    @the-chaser

We are about to change property manager's and currently have tenants in our NSW property on a 12-month lease. This is the first time I have changed PM's during a lease term. Are there any hints or warnings people could give me to ensure that the changeover runs smoothly?

For example, is the old PM required to hand over to the new PM any documents from their file that are still current (eg. tenancy agreement, condition report, ingoing photos, inspection reports…)? Do I need to ensure that I terminate the old Agency agreement at the same time that the new agency agreement commences (eg. Fri 5pm), or can they overlap (start/finish on the same date)?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Angela

Profile photo of corhigcorhig
    Participant
    @corhig

Hi Angela,

We did the same thing a few years ago, wasn't happy with the old PM's.  The new PM handled EVERYTHING.  They contacted the old PM, got all the paperwork sent across, contacted the tenants.  There was nothing we did except sign a new agreement with the new PM.   They didn't charge us any leasing fee as they didn't need to advertise etc.   Hope this helps

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It also pays to give the old PM the appropriate notice and a letter covering this off – discuss it with the new pm

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Angela

I changed PMs on one of my IP's a few months ago. 

I advised the old PM that I was changing agencies and who the new agent would be and the rest of the work was done by the new PM. No hassles.  

Cheers
    Elka 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.