All Topics / Help Needed! / Renovation Advice in QLD

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of jeepsterjeepster
    @jeepster

I've just moved to Brisbane and am planning on doing a renovation on a house. The house is in semi-rural area on acreage – structurally very solid but needs a lot of work to finish off. The plan is to spend about $100K as it needs a new kitchen, bathroom, plastering on walls and ceiling, painting inside & out, rendering (maybe), some electrical re-work, guttering, carpets/flooring (currently on concrete) and all outdoor landscaping (read cleaning up *a lot* of junk and landscaping). No structural work is going to be done as the layout and structure is pretty good. Original work was done by qualified tradesmen and they did a pretty good job for whats there.

My plan is to manage the whole reno (as I’m a qualified Project Manager), do all of the sh*tty work myself and use qualified tradesmen to do all the work that I can’t (not allowed) to do. I’m an above average handyman with no trade qualifications as such but have renovated 3 houses before with spends of no more than $30K at each property.

My question is –what licensing/registration/insurances do I need for QLD? The place is my parent’s old home (unfinished project) that they want to sell after the reno. I understand that one of them will need to get an owner builder license – is there anything else that I/we must have or do?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jeepster

Firstly welcome to the Sunshine State or this afternoon should i say the rather overcast and cloudy State.

The answer to your question is a simple one. Contact the QBSA website at  http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Default.htm

and it will tell you everything you need to now.

Just be careful as they just love owner builders at the moment.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

Don't get me started on the QBSA , money grabbing $#$%#^$^%# who I feel have lost touch with the real world!

They have a web site that states one thing but when the time comes it's a different story with their own twist.  From my experience you try and do the right thing and contact them to be told 5 different things with them all passing blame or stating that's not my job when crunch time arrives.
    I'm sure they get off on making peoples life difficult while emptying your wallet!

If you are not doing any actual structural work , such as adding on carports,patio,extensions I would not bother with any owner builders cert.
    You have a right to re-plaster,patch,repair,carpet,re-wire , just use the correct trades and make sure they are licensed to cover yourself.
    I have no doubt QBSA will be happy to empty your wallet because 1% of your reno might fall into some approval fee they will create.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.