All Topics / Value Adding / Reno cost estimates?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Hi all,

Just after some advice from people who have done some renos before. I recently purchased a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment is pretty worn as it was built in the 70's. I was thinking if I can reno it for a reasonable price then I may do so given i can get back a decent rental increase on it. Below is what I was thinkin of doing and some approximations of what I think it will cost to do:

Kitchen:
    Cupboards – Bunnings flat pack style – 2500-3000
    Tiles – Standard plain white for splashbacks – 300-500
    Sink – 150-200
    Taps – 50
    Oven, Stove and rangehood – 1500-2000

Bathroom:
    Toilet system – 150-200
    Bathtub- 100-150
    Shower screen for bathtub/shower – 200-300
    Vanity – 300ish
    Taps – 100
    Fan – 50
    Tiles for floor and splashback above vanity – 500
    Mirror – 50

Other:
    Carpet – 1000
    Paint – 500
    Blinds – 500
    Interior doors – 200
    Labour to fit appliances in kitchen – 300
    Labour to plumb sink and all bathroom stuff – 300
    Tiler to tile splashback in kitchen and bathroom floor – 300

I dont plan to do anything extravigant. Just want to make it look a bit more modern but still keep it on a budget. Do those estimates sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

only thing that stand out to me is the allowance for tiles,  they are actually relatively cheap unless you are going for something exotic.   $1000 for carpet (laid) in a 2br apartment sounds low but dont know how much you are re-doing or if you have trade connections.   The rest seems reasonable for a budget to me.   If you tell people where you are they may be able to suggest "cheaper than Bunnings" sources for some of this.   Good luck with the reno.   One thing people tend to under-estimate is the time to do the project,  its usually longer than you think, which costs you in interest charges  (something to consider in utilising tradies) i.e. pay them or pay the bank

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

WIth out knowing the size of area you are trying to complete it's impossible to calculate.
    I do agree the carpet price sounds a little low and for cheap rubbish as well your tile costs.
    Myself I would double the entire of materials costs only and + 35% and still it will be a budget.

For an average to expensive renovation, the breakdown is 50% building and labour with 50% fittings and fixtures
    Bathroom Renovations What Savings DIY

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

Also you don't mention light fittings, light switches, power points, silicone, sealer, grout, tile adhesive, screws, drain, nails, door handles and possibly any tools you might need for the bits you are doing yourself such as paint brushes, roller, trowel, etc

You also might want to allow some extra budget for unforseen things such as when you remove the old kitchen cupboards you might need to do some plastering, also when the new kitchen goes in you will probably have to do some work around the cornices and skirting boards to make it all seamless.

Wishing you every success,

Ana Stankovic

Profile photo of James_JohnsonJames_Johnson
    @james_johnson

I would have expected Dean Parker to weigh in here with his expert commentary. Hopefully as he is expecting us to go to his seminar he will address your question soon.

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Thanks for the input guys. Im in Melbourne so if anyone can recommend some good cheap places for goods that woudl be greatly appreciated. The apartment is approx 60sq meters. I did actually forget abot things like light fittings, towel rails etc so will need to budget for them as well. Reckon approx $15K will be enough to cover it all?  

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob
    Rhys_Roberts wrote:
    I would have expected Dean Parker to weigh in here with his expert commentary. Hopefully as he is expecting us to go to his seminar he will address your question soon.

LOL true but I think he would be only stabbing in the dark like the rest of us on this question.

For some cheap supplies you could check out some 2nd hand dealers since it is a reno
    Victoria Demolition and Secondhand Supplies

Profile photo of Bricks and MorterBricks and Morter
    Participant
    @bricks-and-morter

G'day lopetha

I'm on the same wavelenght as the others above, I think you need to consider all the little extras that aren't so obvious to start with.  I've found that the more detail you go into each task you want to do the cost becomes more accurate, it can takes months to get all the detail together,.  If you don't want to go into that much detail you need to be over the top on your estimates, ie tiles may cost you $20/m2 and a tiler $40 – $50/m2m, you may estimate $70/m2, but I would estimate $80 – $85/m2.

The best way I've found is to borrow books on DIY from the library to learn how to do the task, then you will know how to go about it, then you can price it.

The main things that get missed is the labour, I think you may be light on, get some quotes before you commit.  Are you planning to do all the work your self or tradesmen all the way. ie cabnet maker for your benchestops, electrican for lights, new power points in kitchen.  Most tradesmen will charge about $500/day $50/hr.  I think your tiler, plumber and sparkie are far too light, most jobs take more than a day.  What about hanging doors, painting and carpeting.

Unfortunatly there is no quick calulation for your reno's each is very different and will change as you go!

Good luck with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.