All Topics / General Property / Smoke alarms and body corp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Hi all,

Just wondering who is responsible for smoke alarms in an apartment with body corp? I had an inspection done and it turns out there is no smoke alarm in the apartment. Is that my responsibility to have one installed or is that body corps? Also, do they have to be hard wired ones or are the battery operated ones ok?

Thanks.

Profile photo of joecool70joecool70
    @joecool70

Hi lopetha

I own a unit and I know that the on-site manager has told me that anything within the confines of the unit is the owner's responsibility. Therefore I would say that the smoke alarm would be your responsibility.

I ended up getting a hard-wired alarm (about $100) because I've heard stories about tenants taking out the batteries for their own use (eg like children's toys). Because my unit is on the top floor, I was able to install a hard-wired alarm. It would probabaly depend on where the unit is located and whether an electrician would have acess in the roof to perform a hard-wired installation. Other than that I would suggest you contact the body corporate company to clarify whether a hard-wired or battery operated alarm is acceptable.

Cheers

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Smoke Alarms – now theres a new never ending expense.

Yes, you will need to install the alarm or two depending on size etc of unit.

New laws in Queensland ( over one year old now ) mean you need to fit one. Also you need to have it tested and new batteries before new tenant starts each time, and once a year have it tested. New companies are now starting up making a killing from owners of rental properties with assistance of real estate agents trying make sure they have someone else to blame if a fire burns a house or people are injured.

I suggest you put in a battery operated unit at $8 or so yourself – very easy to do.
    After one year  or with new tenants – put in another new one – thus new battery and unit – cost another $8…

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Legislation states that all properties are to have hard wired smoke alarms – a battery operated one does not qualify. If it burns down, it has not been hard wired or maintained who are they going to point the finger at? Do you want to take that risk?

Do your self the favour and get peace of mind, get it hard wired (unit is about $40 + installation) – get the property manager to organise it.

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Thanks guys. Ive spoken to the PM to get one sorted ASAP.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Scott no mates

Actually, Queensland law says you need to fit at least a 9V alarm not a 240VAC alarm!
    All new buildings need a 240VAC alarm or extensions to old buildings!

So there.

Also cost of servicing 240AC alarms is double the cost for 9V alarms at about $90 each? each year..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.