All Topics / Value Adding / Bathroom reno

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of NucopiaNucopia
    @nucopia

Hi
    I have to renovate a bathroom in a property I have , its way past needing to be done .
    my problem is I have a small budget and would like to do it for under $1,000 ( if thats possible), which means doing the majority of the work my self and getting materials from as  cheap a place as possible.
    I have some limited experience , but have a brother who has done bathroom water proofing and can do the tiles for me.
    I will hire a plumber to do any pipe work when needed… but the rest will be done by my brother me and my wife
    any suggestions hints or what ever from the old hands.. would be appreciated.
    nucopia

Profile photo of NucopiaNucopia
    @nucopia

Does any one know a place that has factory seconds or cheap bathroom fixtures and fittings showers baths etc web site would be great.
    thanks

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos
    Nucopia wrote:

Does any one know a place that has factory seconds or cheap bathroom fixtures and fittings showers baths etc web site would be great.
    thanks

if you say where the reno is you may get some leads on this question

also need to describe the starting state of the bathroom before anyone can make sense of a $1000 budget.   $1000 would be enough if you are handy and the work is superficial (paint, some limited re-tiling, new shower screen, vanity, cistern) If you are demolishing the room and relocating plumbing and draining then you probably wont get close.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

You could buy a cheap toilet and vanity from Bunnings and could pick up tapware on Ebay.  In fact, you may be able to pick up a cheap toilet and vanity on Ebay if you look out for one near you.  I often see good quality second hand tapware on there.

I have recently done a reno and bought an excellent quality second hand rangehood for $3.00.  I picked it up just around the corner from my house.  Far cheaper than the best new quote I could find of $229!!

Cheers

K

Profile photo of WinzerWinzer
    Participant
    @winzer

$1000 is very tight.
    A new  2 sided shower screen will set you back $500 for a semi frameless pivot or slider.
    Toilet suite from $120 for a cheapy from bunnings.
    Tiles are best bought from a seconds outlet….Johnston tiles in Melbourne from $5m2 and if you have cheap/free tiler that's better. Use cheap whites with a contrasting border or vertical feature strip to snaz it up a little.
    If you have a small space use larger tiles to door height and big mirrors tiled around to create an illusion of space.
    Discount building suppliers such as Bourne and Builders Renovators Warehouse do shower, bath and basin tap set combos from $79 and look the part.
    People love to see a 3 in 1 light at an open for inspection for rental or sale. You can get these cheap and remember the cost of installation.
    The stinger will be any trades you need to employ. The labour element is the most expensive on a cheap reno so remember to keep it simple and where possible avoid any layout changes. Have a crack at the plumbing in the bathroom such as changing taps in the shower bath and basin if you are feeling handy. You can always call in the plumber if you fail and when he comes point to your tiling brother and say,"He did it!"

As for eBay, best not to waste too much time bidding, waiting up and missing out on auctions to save a couple of bucks. Register at auctionsniper.com set your limit and return to your reno and it will bid on you behalf.

Good luck.

Profile photo of T3RRYT3RRY
    @t3rry

Hi,

Im a Renovation Project Manager in Perth. a $1000 budget is very tight. However if you are doing most of the work yourself then you can save money but its best not to cut corners.
    With Investment properties time is Money $$$, the longer your property is vacant the more you lose in income lost and should you compromise on quality it may cost you more in maintenance issues in the future.
    Bear in mind there is a line when over capitalising on a renovation.

A proper team can complete a full bahroom reno in 1-2 weeks.

"Would you trust your car with a backyard mechanic, i know that i wouldnt. Your Property is one of your greatest assest and its not worth cutting corners to fix a problem"

To get the best out of your reno, get all your measurements, work out what you need and work your budget around that.
    Tiles m2
    Vanity?
    Tap ware
    Bath
    Shower screen
    Mirror
    Light fittings
    Plumber
    Tiler
    Electrician

Then sundrys such as grout, cement, waterproof membrane etc

However if you are bound by a budget and have the time to spare then its worth shopping around.

Profile photo of GlennStakerGlennStaker
    @glennstaker

u can get alot of useful stuff from your local tip shop or lifeline / salvos type stores including basins, tiles, mirrors etc even tools like tile cutters. sometimes people have heaps of tiles left over and just take them to the dump or the op shop. ikea/bunnings/spotlight can be good for accessories like towel racks / toilet roll holders / blinds etc. whatever you do don't assume that bunnings are the cheapest for everything……

yes it does depend on the standard of your bathroom……but you should be able to re-tile and replace vanity / mirror / shower head & handles for under 1000. its unfortunate if you have to replace shower screens, bathtubs etc as it can get expensive. i've only had shower curtains in my places which are really cheap and can be bought with modern patterns on them etc….and can't be broken by careless tenants. i picked up a great vanity off ebay for really cheap too.

the best thing you can do is ask on forums like this :)

cheers
    g

@nucopia

thanks for all the good replies.
    Sorry I was not more specific with what I was doing
    The bathroom has  a new vanity and Mirrors, and I have  heaps of tiles that some one gave me… all are the same pattern/color so good for my purpose…I have  neighbor who is a plumber and  an another one  is an electrician.. They will do any of the pipe work  and rewiring for me..
    My $1,000 budget is for a bath tub( would love a spar/bath combo), Shower stall and some Lights… basically I need  a low cost  supplier  I can buy these things from..
    The  house is located  in Wellington NSW …. Dubbo is the nearest big Town…

Profile photo of T3RRYT3RRY
    @t3rry

If you check the auctions in your area it may be a great place to find a bargain

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

Check out some 2nd hand suppliers , grab the phone book at take a drive you just might get lucky.
    Here is a link with some 2nd suppliers in NSW , might be worth checking out.
    New South Wales Bargain Centres, Seconds, Demolition and Secondhand Supplies

@nucopia
    Profile photo of BanjoSmythBanjoSmyth
    Participant
    @banjosmyth

Hi nucopia

I recently renovated one of my properties and rather than replacing the tiles in the kitchen and bathroom i used 'White Knight' tile paint.  I did the whole bathroom in White and the Kitchen in a nice red.  Looks great!  The only thing i would worry about is the longevity? but if you prepare the surface properly i think it is pretty long lasting.  When people came and saw the property they all assumed that i had put in new tiles.   It will definitely save you some money. 

Best of luck

Banjo Smyth

Profile photo of InvestorMickInvestorMick
    Participant
    @investormick

Just a thought with retiling, you can simply retile over the old ones, no need to remove and a job I saw recently looked great! Tiling is quite a simple job if you have the right tools. Hiring a cutter may be best.

Mick

Profile photo of Ltderek7246Ltderek7246
    @ltderek7246

I have a Corner Curved Glass and Door with Shelf, Flexi Shower Head and soap dish.  Ready to go into our new Bathroom.   I am sure she will love the look and room. $220

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.