All Topics / Help Needed! / First timer newbie with some general questions re: GOLD COAST PROPERTY

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of BenhamanBenhaman
    Participant
    @benhaman

OK, first… Hi all :)

I am a 27 year old single male living on the gold coast, just moved back into parents after going single again. I have full time employment and bring home about 600$ a week (not much i know). I have no debts and this time next year will have around $40k which I would like to do something sensible with for a change hehe.

Have been looking on the real estate site at prices on the Gold Coast and there isnt alot of property that's within my reach. Mostly studio apartments by the beach averaging between $100k and $200k.

I am wondering if it would be wise to aim for the goal of purchasing my first home in 2008 (looking to borrow say around $150k) or if people think the prices will go down in years to come or not? Like i said i'm a newbie and don't know alot but I want to learn!

Having seen the prices go up here in the last 8 years to over double, I can only wonder if they are ever going to go down to a realisticly affordable price for myself or if I am doomed to living with the parents for ever!

Anyhow, any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

They are set to HALVE in the next 3-4 years. You will not miss out.
    Join the bears at : http://www.globalhousepricecrash.com and educate yourself.

You won't be sorry.

Profile photo of BenhamanBenhaman
    Participant
    @benhaman

Does this apply for gold coast? One person once told me the prices would go down everywhere except the gold coast cause everyone wants to own there so it might slow down but would never drop,

maybe i should just move out bush

Profile photo of miikemiike
    Participant
    @miike

The purchase is a bit more complicated, as the Vendor is through State Trustees.

My understanding is that the State Trustees sells on behalf of the client and is liable for the transfer. In the case that the proprieter of the property dies, the state trustees is still liable.

Am i on the right track here?

Profile photo of MaxxiMaxxi
    @maxxi

Morning Benhaman,

As a beginner, one thing to remember is the more research you do… the more aware and prudent you will be.  You will probably already understand that … what you focus on … is wehat you see!  and the reverse is true too … what you don't focus on… you wont see!  Therefore ask lots of questions everywhere you go and as a suggestion subscribe to google news for relevant titles.
    It's also helpful to understand that prices are governed primarily by supply versus demand … in many parts of Australia, especially capital cities, we are struggling to meet housing demands for the next 20 years plus.
    As a suggestion, you are likely to be more able to afford to buy a property to rent out rather than one to live in at this stage.  This is because the tenant will be paying a good part of the holding costs in rent.  If property prices in the area that you buy rise … then you could consider accessing the deposit for a property you would like to live in the future.  By that time your income situation may have changed and rent value are likely to be higher too!
    A spotlight in the market at the moment is South Australia due to the lower costs of living, relatively lower housing prices and especially the Defense Projects and the Mining Boom in Northern SA.

Good Luck!

Maxxi

JJM Finance Services P/L
    [email protected]
    0403 234 234
    8.77% Full Doc and Lo-Doc is about to begin!!

Profile photo of miikemiike
    Participant
    @miike

strange…i replied to another post, sorry guys….

Participant
    @benhaman

as i know nothing about south australia, what would be some areas/suburbs of the state to look at property?

@maxxi

Which suburbs you focus on would depend on what your budget is.  North Adelaide, situated right next to the CBD (overlooking it actually), is a beautiful leafy blue chip suburb which is said to be set for the mining companies to house a lot of their Head offices for the Mining up North.  Salisbury, Munno Para, Elizabeth etc in the Northern suburbs are getting good rent return and are still affordable.  Suburbs by the water are doing well as usual Largs North and similar are good ones to look at… and closer to the action (Mining that is) … Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Whyalla which make up the Iron Triange are set to be supply hubs for the mining projects further North.  Right in the action are Coober Pedy, Olympic Dam and Roxby Downs … where it is still possible to get a neutral or possitively geared property.  Lin Andrews Real Estate cover all this area extremely well.  It would be a good idea to subscribe to their newsletter (I do).  Lin himself and Terry Benn are two you can talk to … by the way … No I dont receive a commission and I'm not a referrer for their company.  However, I did live in Adelaide for many years.

Hope this helps ….

PS Do your research Do Your research Do your research… know your budget, know your prices/values, know your suburbs, know your rent returns, know your limitations.

@scamp

The only city I would invest in ( if I were to buy right now ) would be Melbourne, but not Adelaide.
    Mind you, in Melbourne the prices will also drop, but due to the better infrastructure and the amount of work there, it won't be affected as much as for instance Brisbane or Perth or Sydney.

Gold coast is nice when economy does well. But once that stops, prices plunge there.

Participant
    @benhaman

so would the gold coast even be a good place to consider to invest in the next 10 years or should i be looking elsewhere?

thanks guys, good to be gettin some info :D

much appreciated

@maxxi

Scamp,

You definitely havent done your homework …. and you definitely dont know the Australian market… Maybe because you dont live in Australia???  As I said before … I do agree that housing prices will drop …. and I do agree that the market will recover in about three years …. but your evidence and figures etc are disgraceful…  You clearly dont understand the Markets in Brisbane or Adelaide.  My belief is that the Gold Coast is an over inflated market in many suburbs, as it Sydney in parts and Perth in Parts.  In every economy you need to do your home work and there are areas that you would buy in and areas that you would not buy in.  I do however agree that some suburbs have and will drop by up to 50% due to ridiculously overpriced values.  This has already happened in suburbs of Sydney ….. but is not an overall reflection of the whole economy ….

I'm interested to know how well established your own portfolio is??? 

If you'd like to speak to someone who knows the local markets … speak to experts in that area.  There are plenty of avenues to research any area you like…. maybe you should do oyur research more on Adelaide Scamp …. why would the government in a time when spending is scarce, be still spending Billions on Infrastructure to support these areas of growth??? Maybe to support the economy by supplying more jobs and opportunity …. to overt such catastrophies as a property meltdown??? 

Scamp… what you focus in is what you will see …… try not focusing on the problems all the time and maybe you'll have a better day….

Profile photo of acelliersacelliers
    Participant
    @acelliers

Hi Ben

All I want to say is that "people's" opinions can cost you a lot of money. Educate yourself, save your deposit and research in your own backyard. There are very good buys in Robina and Varsity Lakes at the moment but they will still get better in 2009.

Cheers
    Annemarie

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Benhaman wrote:
    Does this apply for gold coast? One person once told me the prices would go down everywhere except the gold coast cause everyone wants to own there so it might slow down but would never drop,

maybe i should just move out bush

In the early 80's the ABC 4 corners show ran a episode on the Gold Coast questioning whether that bubble could burst. Almost all contributors said "NO" as the huge torism boom and flood of retirees made it bullet proof.

Forward two years to an accountant I worked for and I was doing the personal tax for a exec of TNT. Now this guy was the luckiest son of a gun you could ever see. Everytime he bought shares it was days before a rights or bonus issue,  (talk about luck !!! and please I am in no way inferring that as a director of public companies he had any inside knowledge, as we all know in Australia that does not happen). he built up a nice fund of 200k (this is early 80 dollars ) and thought he better get in on the GC.

Bought two off the plan for 160 each, and when he had to settle they had dropped to  80K. The 200K he had build up thru lucky investing was flushed away.

So can the GC drop again, don't know, but has it dropped before, sure has.

And Jon if you want his name to confirm please PM me, as I said only facts.

@maxxi

As far as the GC is concerned … I agree with you GMH … I think it is overinflated … especially on the high end ….. but you can also still get some goof buys there too … you just need to know the market ….. it's always supply and demand …. because of the migration into the GC … it wont do so badly but i still expect it to drop.

@scamp

Well, Ben : you have your answer : don't buy now. Just wait till Januari 2009. The inside info all points to only 1 thing : Wait with buying, you will get loads more for your money later, than before.

And seeing stagflation is just around the corner, you will be happy you have some spare cash to survive the 'harsh times' where the debt bubble deflates ( debt bubbles deflate in stagflation times ).

Just read the news, if you think the news is very positive, then do NOT buy. If you think they're very negative, don't buy either. When the news focuses on other things, then it's the time to buy. When everyone stops talking about real estate, when noone cares about it anymore, when everyone warns you of the dangers and everyone knows at least 1 guy who lost their fortunes in real estate : THEN it's time to invest in property.

That won't be anytime soon.

Participant
    @benhaman

my mate was looking at these units in varsity towers. its a big block of units/studio keys built onto the water directly across from the uni. The buy now price for one was $250 k and the real estate agent put down in writing each one could be rented for up to 240 per week so thats 440 a week which would cover repayments… however, as it says up to 240 im just wondering what the chances would be of gettin that kind of weekly rental income and would it be year round?

sounded too good to be true but i guess you never know…

here is a link to the kind of thing i am talking about however when you do the sums as to what they say in this its not the same as what he had on writing from the real estate agents so something is up there.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104930291&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=82032024&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1213268179

or

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104580217&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=82032024&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1213268179

or

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104945278&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=82032024&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1213268179

@scamp
    Quote:
    This investment has it all for the astute investor
    Great depreciation!

Haha.. he warns you already there "Great DEPRECIATION!" I think I found the first honest RE agent out there :D
    Anyway, do you know any student that can afford 240$ per week ?
    Count on 130$ per week , that's 520 per month, which is a lot to pay for a student already.
    520 per month = 6240 per year rental incomes.
    You PAY : 260000*9.5/100 = 24700 per year
    You LOSE : 18460 per year if you buy this appartment.
    That doesn't include the losses from the promised DEPRECIATION! as advertised in the advert ofcourse.

It's a bad deal. Plus it's a student flat, expect them to trash the place.

Profile photo of joecool70joecool70
    @joecool70

Hi Benhaman

Sorry guys, might just be a bit off topic, but it may be of interest to Benhaman. I know this comment may not answer your question, but I'm part of a group of property investors that meet once a month here on the Gold Coast. We are a not-for-profit group, but people of differing experience in property investment. The group's been going for just over a year and I've found the information we all share invaluable. We'd be happy for you to come along and share the knowledge. The meetings are free and open to anyone who may be interested in property investment, no matter what level of experience you may have – even if you're starting out. We just had a meeting this week at the Southport SLSC and had a guest speaker talking to us about Trusts. Our meetings are normally scheduled for the first week of each month so, if you or anyone else is interested in coming along, just send an email to: [email protected] to get further details of the time and venue.

Cheers

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888
    Scamp wrote:
    Quote:
    This investment has it all for the astute investor
    Great depreciation!

Haha.. he warns you already there "Great DEPRECIATION!" I think I found the first honest RE agent out there :D
    Anyway, do you know any student that can afford 240$ per week ?
    Count on 130$ per week , that's 520 per month, which is a lot to pay for a student already.
    520 per month = 6240 per year rental incomes.
    You PAY : 260000*9.5/100 = 24700 per year
    You LOSE : 18460 per year if you buy this appartment.
    That doesn't include the losses from the promised DEPRECIATION! as advertised in the advert ofcourse.

It's a bad deal. Plus it's a student flat, expect them to trash the place.

Scamp,

have you even been to the Gold Coast.

The Varsity precinct  houses students from Bond University. This a private, full fee paying tertiary campus. The students   attending there are funded by their parents and can well afford the rent you scoff at.

And, the depreciation that you also mock is a paper loss that enables investors to offset and reduce holding costs. All buildings/dwellings lose value and depreciate.

I am not passing comment or judgement on any of the deals that appear above, just merely wanting to clarify that before you post you should check your facts   about the area/suburb you are commenting on.

Profile photo of whispermoondancerwhispermoondancer
    @whispermoondancer

hello all.
    i am reading steve's book at present, and have been looking for a property using the 11 second solution.
    the average rentals in kingaroy qld, for a three bedroom timber house are $195 – $ 250 per week.  Current asking prices for these houses start at $230,000. and go as high as you could pay. 
    using the above formula, the rent will never cover the payments on the loan.  Am I never to break into the investment market with the prices as they are??????????????

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.