All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Can you rent house to third party, live in it yourself and declare the income as rental income???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of MacnattMacnatt
    @macnatt

Hello,

My husband has just taken a new job which includes rent to be paid as part of the package. We already own a house in the area which has a massive shortage of rental properties.

Is it possible for his company to take a lease over the property and we live in it. Can we then declare the income as rental income.

The alternative is for us to rent out our house to strangers and try to find something else to rent but decent properties are few and far between.

Thanks
    Natalie

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

I recall reading that this was something that the ATO was aware of and there was a ruling against it. I am trying to recall where I read it and I think it was on the BANTACS website. I am sorry I cant be more specific. I think the reason was you were in a more tax advantageous position by being able to claim all deductions but not pay tax on gains if you were still calling it a PPOR. PLease let us know if you find out anything differnt.
    Mick

Profile photo of MacnattMacnatt
    @macnatt

We already have another house which we are claiming as a PPOR so this one will be subject to capital gains.

Thnaks
    Natalie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.