All Topics / Value Adding / removing an existing wall in a unit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of ajsc79ajsc79
    Participant
    @ajsc79

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who knows whose services i would employ to take a wall out. I need to know if i will need to put some kind of bracing in like a beam or if i can just take it out?

cheers

anthony( im from adelaide)

Profile photo of darey1982darey1982
    @darey1982

Hi Anthony,

I am not a builder or all that experienced in removing walls, I would definitely be getting a registered builder to have a look at it for you. As they should explain if its a low bearing wall then it will definitely have to be braced with a beam or something similar. As far as I am aware if its not low bearing then its just a case of knocking the wall out which isn't hard and you could do yourself.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Andrew

Profile photo of PudestconPudestcon
    @pudestcon

G'day ajsc79,

I'm a registered builder and would hate to count the number of walls I have knocked out both masonry and timber/steel framed walls; I reckon I could do it in my sleep now
    But…… you do need someone who knows what they are doing; you say it's a unit but is it single storey or part of a low/high rise block.  A lot of questions to be answered before you lift a tool;  what about electrical or plumbing services running in the wall?  Just because you can't see a switch or tap does not mean the services are not there.  I'm with darey1982….  Get a professional in, at least for advice.

Good luck,

Pud

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Structural work as defined in the BCA – you will need a DA from council, body corporate approval and the list goes on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.