All Topics / General Property / Free Property Advertising Websites and great rental lead generators

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Scarecrow7Scarecrow7
    @scarecrow7

Hi,

I am a very hands on property person and manage my properties personally. I am often frustrated at not being able to advertise on realestate.com.au and affiliated sites as I'm not an agent. But there's some other options.

I recently advertised a commercial-type property that didn't suit listing on domain.com.au, yet I received fantastic responses, and the best thing is that it's all free. The website i used is called gumtree, and you'll find one for your capital city ie melbourne.gumtree.com.au. The best thing about this website is that you can actually source your future renters(both residential and commercial) through the hundreds of "Wanted" ads being posted.

Similarly, a friend of mine recommended melbourneexchange.com.au 

and
    webindustry.asn.au also

I think it's a great way to go, and will certainly use it again to help me advertise my properties in future. It got me a top tenant paying my asking rental.

PS: I am not affiliated to any of the websites I've recommended, and what I know is limited to having stumbled on them in the last month or so.

Profile photo of MikeMike
    Participant
    @mikesonthemic

Gumtree is owned by ebay and has a whole heap of useful stuff on there.  Its quite popular for Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas in the UK… actually its the first point of call.  Perhaps this is rubbing off on the Aussie market now.

Profile photo of landinvesterlandinvester
    @landinvester

I run one of those free property websites. We went through a long process of negotiating with Realestate.com.au and domain.com.au to list on their websites for private sales if people wanted to pay. Realestate has a monthly subscription agents pay to have unlimited listings. We did the same with Domain. We had even arranged to hire/contract a Real estate agent who would act on behalf for the privater listings , however once they new our intent was to market private properties even that didn't seem to matter. They still refused our business. It appears to be some of a du-duopoly here for most things ( coles / wool worths) Competition which helps consumers is strongly opposed. The US has a system called the MLS whcih allows private sale websites or for sale by owner sites to purchase a listing on through a broker . It cost them around 300, however it gives the listing exposure through a national system and multiple real estate agents. It would be nice to see something like that so private sales people could get similar exposure.

There are a bunch of private free for sale websites out there . The problem is getting a dense enough high volume site that can compete with the two main site. It may take some time , however I think people are looking for it .

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Good on you Landinvester keep trying I ma sure you will get traction with your enterprises.

Profile photo of RodneyHRodneyH
    @rodneyh

I am currently on the look out for my first rental place (after a 2 bedroom apartment near Brisbane CBD), and in my travels I've found Gumtree.com.au to be the best for private advertising, but to be honest, it's not really as "good" a website as it could be.

By that I mean, it's bland, and mostly textual. Which is great from a minimalist perspective, but I believe that Domain has the best "site" in terms of usability and layout, and that if this was replicated onto perhaps an advertisement-funded free to advertise website, it could be a winner.

Another problem with gumtree is that it is largely unmoderated, despite being owned by ebay, there seems to be alot of ads in the wrong categories which is agravating to the user, such as "rent wanted" ads being in the "rent offered" section, and there has also been some cases where scammers have posted fake ads on there, one I came into contact with was someone offering an inner city unit for a too-good-to-be-true price, turns out he is from america and is using it for some sort of identity theft. Stuff like that puts me, as a potential renter off websites like those.

I guess it is a bit off topic, but I thought that some property investors would be keen to hear my thoughts on properties advertised through sites like these. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go through gumtree in my search for an apartment, but I'll be vary wary.

As a software developer by occupation (and also studying part time) I can see how this sort of website could be done alot better, and given the write administration, marketing and moderation, could be successfull. Perhaps I'll start making something in my spare time and see if I can get close to what I believe would be the ideal site.

Profile photo of RodneyHRodneyH
    @rodneyh

Oh, and also:
    https://www.qut.edu.au/accommodation/

is another free(?) site I believe.

Profile photo of shayeonlineshayeonline
    @shayeonline

Check Landlordz. (http://www.landlordz.com.au). I used Landlordz to advertise my rental property and got great results and it was free to advertise my rental property online.

Profile photo of DogmersfieldDogmersfield
    @dogmersfield

I guess it is a bit off topic, but I thought that some property investors would be keen to hear my thoughts on properties advertised through sites like these. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still go through gumtree in my search for an apartment, but I’ll be vary wary.

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

Hi scarecrow,

<moderator: delete advertising>

Dogmersfield, your website appears to be a REA's website in Chicago, so why would you use gumtree to look for apartments (presumably in Australia?)? 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.