All Topics / Opinionated! / Property/ Investment “seminars” are for mugs

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Profile photo of mpertilempertile
    @mpertile

The only one who has proven themselves a mug is badger himself – Badger, why waste your time typing dribble?

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar

How many IP do you own badger???
    honest answer only though….

Profile photo of ErikHErikH
    @erikh
    Badgers_R_Us wrote:
    It's like paying Jamie Oliver a days wage to teach you how to cook an omelette!

Badger, this is a great example of you don't know what you don't know until someone tells you (maybe in a seminar!)… making an omelette is considered one of the hardest-to-do basic skills in cooking! Some top chefs have been known to use it as a selection mechanism to weed out average chefs from those with real talent /skill …

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    jthomo wrote:

Why?  Would it be your assertion that the merit of my contribution is directly linked to the number of IP's I have?  My brother knows a great deal about tennis rackets,  but I think he's only got one at the moment.

Or perhaps you would just like to compare the size of yours with the size of mine.

What's your point?

Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    Badgers_R_Us wrote:
    jthomo wrote:

Why?  Would it be your assertion that the merit of my contribution is directly linked to the number of IP's I have?  My brother knows a great deal about tennis rackets,  but I think he's only got one at the moment.

Or perhaps you would just like to compare the size of yours with the size of mine.

What's your point?

JT Homo, cat got your tongue?

Profile photo of crm911crm911
    Participant
    @crm911

There is one more interpretation, from the seminar organiser's viewpoint. He only wants mugs to attend, as they will help him maximise his ROI. He does not want brainiacs like the rest of us who will see through anything that is shonky. I also doubt if many organisers set out to cheat, although they may leave some facts unsaid.

Newbie investors are not necessarily mugs. They are genuinely ignorant, hence they come to seek knowledge. They don't ask something they don't know they should ask. With luck, if they make a mistake, they will learn from their own experience.

Profile photo of VijayGopinathVijayGopinath
    @vijaygopinath

I want to buy foreclosed properties. Has anyone attended the "Real estate riches seminar'?
    Are these seminars worth the time? Can someone recommend the best way to learn how?
    Thanks……

Profile photo of MortgagePlusMortgagePlus
    @mortgageplus

Badger, you are obviously a pleb, and have likley not held a job any higher than low/low-middle management.
    Seminars can be useful, when they have accurate content and seek to accomplish a fair goal. Obviously, the goal in most cases is for the organiser to promote/peddle their products or services. That simply must be assumed. That is their business, and they seek to make a profit. Providing it is carried out in an ethical and legal way, there is nothing wrong with that.

Maybe your post should have had the quote 'property books are for mugs. They don't contain anything you can't learn at a few seminars' ????

Your opinion is simply biased, and could be explained away by your ignorance. Different people learn in different ways. If you have ever had to manage or train a team of staff or accociates, this would already be known to you.

There are an equally large number of rubbish 'investing / self help and property' books on the market as there is crap seminars to go and see. You are a dullard for even raising the issue based on the merits of the seminar content, as each and every seminar contains such drastically different material. What you have attacked is the method, a good reason why the topic is not one that can be resolved. Different people learn in different ways.

Here are some key points –

If I had the oppurtunity to attend a seminar with a top property expert, I would probably look into it, and would not rule out attending simply because it is a seminar. (Books do not answer when I ask questions)

If you wrote a book, I would not buy it.

Again, different people learn in different ways.

All the best with opening your library.

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar
    Badgers_R_Us wrote:
    Badgers_R_Us wrote:
    jthomo wrote:

What's your point?

JT Homo, cat got your tongue?

[Note from Moderator:Your membership has been blocked for one week for abuse towards a member and slander. If i forget to lift the block please email admin explaining to them this thread. 30/Jan/2009 Block lift date Friday 6th/Feb/2009.]

Profile photo of jasandlivjasandliv
    Participant
    @jasandliv

Has someone here been 'had' on a course perhaps? Or have they not participated in one? I've done one and took heaps away from a very well designed course/mentoring program. i probably won't do one again for a while but its stupid to say only 'mugs' do them and you'll 'have your wallet emptied.'. its the same with everything you invest in… be wise, research it and spend wisely.
    Don't write it off and don't think you KNOW IT ALL! Theres plenty out there who will pass on a heap of great info/advice for reasonable money.

Profile photo of TackersTackers
    @tackers

I attended a property investment seminar last week. I have been a property investor for many years and reached a portfolio of 5 rental properties and sold a few to buy our retirement home on retirement. I now have a new job with more income than I had before and want to get back into buying investment properties – hence the attendance at the seminar.

I started out into investment properties without any advice and after I had two properties I bought Jan Somers' first book on "Creating Wealth". This put into context what I was trying to do and after reading it from front to back used the guidance and Property Investment Analysis tools to more fully understand how to assess a property before you buy and during ownership.

The seminar I recently attended did not tell me anything I didn't already know and there were some exaggerations and unsubstantiated 'facts' that contradicted the most recent media comment of Australia's housing affordability ranking with the rest of the world. Some key points such as having equity in your own home to get loans above 80% were not mentioned. The key thrust of this seminar was to offer properties, finance and management with rental guarantees as a package. Judging from the comments in this forum, this is a standard approach.

The value in the seminar to me was to re-ignite my enthusiasm for property investment. I am not sure of the value of the seminar to the other attendees but most seemed to provide their names for later interviews. The seminar was useful to wet your appetite but lacked the substance of the real usable information that was provided to me in Jan Somers' book.

Tackers.

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

MortgagePlus wrote:

Badger, you are obviously a pleb, and have likely not held a job any higher than low/low-middle management.  

Interesting comments, but perhaps I'll hone in on the one above.  I thought I would achieve this by way of comparison, Tim. I thought it would be a good idea to review your accomplishments in order to put your view point into perspective. How about we do that, eh Tim. 

I had a look at your site, Tim, and the first thing I noticed was the poor page layout and the poor rendering of graphics within the limited number of pages. Some fit and some do not, Tim.  Do you need a ruler, Tim? I’d send you one, but I’ll tell you a secret, Tim. If you buy the Idiots Guide books they give you tips on how to create simple amateur websites – and (here’s the tip), they show you how to access the ruler in the software, so I wont have to send you my wooden one, Tim. 

I also notice what looks like amateur photography conveying to the user a cheap looking operation where the budget only extends to the use of low quality images, perhaps taken on your home camera. Was it the camera you got free with the desktop you bought for your business, Tim?  Here’s another tip, you can buy stock pictures for not a lot of money and they make the whole website look less like a school project, Tim.  

I was very confused with the use of the insect image on the News Link page as well, Tim. Typically images are used to support the message in either an explicit or a metaphoric way. What was the insect saying, Tim?  Is it saying “I’m a bee and I’m busy”, Tim? Are you trying to be smart here, Tim, because it’s lost on me?  

I also notice that you could do with a bit of help with your copy. Let’s take your first paragraph on your home page, shall we Tim:

“Welcome to Mortgage Plus- With a long established history in the finance industry, and knowledgable, experienced staff, Mortgage Plus takes great pride in providing so many Australians with the highest levels of service and fantastic value. Our site is packed full of information to help you learn more about which loan is right for you but if you would like a more personal touch, one of our experienced consultants is just a phone call away. Fee free to call us now.” 

First the punctuation could do with a bit of help and you could also do with someone proofing of the copy – “Fee free” – does this mean there are no charges, Tim, or did you mean feel free, Tim. I’d also ask if you were an American, Tim. This would explain the use of the American spelling of knowledgeable, which is inconsistent with the rest of the site copy. 

I also like the bit that says “packed full of information”.  If you think this is packed, Tim, then we can be forgiven for thinking you might be prone to exaggeration, Tim.  Aside from the links I counted about 2 pages of copy in total. That’s about 400 words, Tim. Yes, I’d agree it was packed if it was a postage stamp, but it’s not is it Tim? It’s your website which I read from page one to page three in four minutes. That’s four minutes, Tim. Hardly packed. 

So, in the spirit of making huge assumptions about people’s jobs, Tim, I think I am better qualified to make assumptions about you than you about me, since I have more information. Here are my assumptions:

> You are running your business out of your Mum’s spare room, aren’t you Tim?

> You have had limited success, but like to paint yourself as some kind of fabulously successful entrepreneur. Am I right, Tim?

> You like to think you are smart and educated, don’t you Tim.

However the evidence contradicts this doesn’t it Tim.  It suggests to me an armature operation, limited knowledge and a lack of attention to detail, so why should we value your opinion Tim, why?  Help me here, Tim, as I am as confused as the bee picture. 

PS – Mr Moderator. This is not slander as I have the right to rebut this fella’s perspectives on me. At the very least this should be left for viewing for the same amount of time Tim’s comments were up for all to see.  What’s good for the goose…..

@mortgageplus

Badger,

I am not particulary fussed as to your opinion. Everything you have said in relation to the site is correct. Spot on. It is very low rent, and thats exactly the way it was intended (obviously barring the typo).

The fact of the matter is that I put the site up in about 3 hours from start to finish (and it shows). It was intended purely to fill the space where an ;under construction' page would sit. Nothing more. I do not intend for it to be high traffic and nor will I ever have the site for that reason. I am too busy writing loans and servicing clients all over the country to worry about the opinion of a coward such as yourself.

You promised a comparison, Badger. Now I've shown you mine……..?

How about your name? The name of your company, if you even have the initiative to own and run one?

How about reviewing the list of comments in response to your moronic comment, and the obvious ignorance it was bourne from. Almost everyone responded with the same comment. You are a biased moron.

So how about providing us with your resume and everyone can see why they should listen to you?

All you have done be attacking my (happily admitted) cheap and nasty site is the equivalent of punching someone that has their hands in their pockets. Weak.

Let us know your name, phone number, email, website and other credentials and we can all decide for ourselves?

Man or mouse?

Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    MortgagePlus wrote:
    Badger,

I am not particulary fussed as to your opinion. Everything you have said in relation to the site is correct. Spot on. It is very low rent, and thats exactly the way it was intended (obviously barring the typo).

The fact of the matter is that I put the site up in about 3 hours from start to finish (and it shows). It was intended purely to fill the space where an ;under construction' page would sit. Nothing more. I do not intend for it to be high traffic and nor will I ever have the site for that reason. I am too busy writing loans and servicing clients all over the country to worry about the opinion of a coward such as yourself.

You promised a comparison, Badger. Now I've shown you mine……..?

How about your name? The name of your company, if you even have the initiative to own and run one?

How about reviewing the list of comments in response to your moronic comment, and the obvious ignorance it was bourne from. Almost everyone responded with the same comment. You are a biased moron.

So how about providing us with your resume and everyone can see why they should listen to you?

All you have done be attacking my (happily admitted) cheap and nasty site is the equivalent of punching someone that has their hands in their pockets. Weak.

Let us know your name, phone number, email, website and other credentials and we can all decide for ourselves?

Man or mouse?

Steady-on Tim, you’re getting all feisty on me here. It looks like you have a penchant for dishing it out but not liking what you get back.  

Tell you what, why don’t you use the free critique of your website I gave, give it another go and let me know when you have finished, and Ill give it another once-over.  It might have been quick and to the point, but there’s a lot of slop as well. Maybe your customers can’t identify the slop because they are the ones who are from a low socia-economic background or just desperate. You wouldn’t be taking advantage of people, would you Tim? You wouldn’t be one of those people I hear about on the TV, you know, the ones that give loans to people who can’t afford them? I hope not.  I can see the headlines now – “The Biggera Waters sub-prime scandal”. Working from His mum’s bedroom, Tim showed no remorse when it was alleged that the 3 loans he sold in the last 5 years were in contravention of APRA’s lending standards

Anyway, I’d send you my home number and the details you asked for but I don’t want your business partner calling me up and having a go about how I upset you, because your business partner is your Mum, isn’t she Tim?  It’s your mum and she’s gets 50% of your commission each week for rent and board.

@mortgageplus

Maybe you should man up and tell us all who you are. You need some new material. You have already covered crap website and lives with mum.

As outlined, some of us can dish it but cant take it.

So, open up and take it. Tell us who you are?

Obviously you have no idea what you are on about. Finance brokers have NOTHING to do with APRA. APRA is the regulatory authority for banks and super funds (among other things)

Either way, I am not wasting any more time on you as this post has just become rational feedback countered by personal attacks. When you are man enough to tell us who you are, maybe you will earn some credibility. Maybe.

Wake up to yourself kid. This forum if designed to provide constructive discussion. All you have done is turn it into a slanging match and you have not made a rational arguement yet.

Bast of luck with growing up and making something of yourself.

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    MortgagePlus wrote:

Either way, I am not wasting any more time on you (Badger) as this post has just become rational feedback countered by personal attacks.

Tim, your first line was:
    Badger, you are obviously a pleb, and have likley not held a job any higher than low/low-middle management.

How is that 'rational feedback'?

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

MortgagePlus wrote:

Maybe you should man up and tell us all who you are. You need some new material. You have already covered crap website and lives with mum.

In light of your excuses about my critique of your site, I thought I needed to differentiate between expedience and slop. I reemphasised the bit about your mum because I new she'd be telling you to never mind and not to let the nasty man upset Timmy.

MortgagePlus wrote:

Obviously you have no idea what you are on about. Finance brokers have NOTHING to do with APRA. APRA is the regulatory authority for banks and super funds (among other things)

Tim, now come on, I think most of the readers concentrated on the attempted  funny bit, the bit about Tim's sub-prime crisis – the rest does not bear scrutiny, because it was not meant to. It's like the joke about the horse in the bar talking to the barman. None of us really think the horse actually spoke, Tim, it's just a joke. Do you think the horse actually spoke Tim, or do you just not like jokes? I think not, as you do not appear to have a sense of humour.

MortgagePlus wrote:
    Either way, I am not wasting any more time on you as this post has just become rational feedback countered by personal attacks. When you are man enough to tell us who you are, maybe you will earn some credibility. Maybe.

This forum if designed to provide constructive discussion. All you have done is turn it into a slanging match

Let’s start by quoting you Tim, your first post on this topic – “Badger, you are obviously a pleb, and have likely (sic) not held a job any higher than low/low-middle management.” 
    What strikes you as obvious here Tim?  Have you heard of the word hypocrite? I think you’ll find there is an online dictionary you can use to look it up, Tim (and I can’t resist this, even though I’m going over old ground), and there is bound to be a section on grammar and punctuation. You can use it for your new, improved website you are working on! (Note the proper use of an exclamation mark).

MortgagePlus wrote:

When you are man enough to tell us who you are, maybe you will earn some credibility. Maybe.

Man enough. Oh come on!!!  Is this your measure of a man, Tim? If it is you must be very small indeed. Are you 5 feet tall, Tim? Maybe, with your Cuban Heels on! 

MortgagePlus wrote:

Wake up to yourself kid.

Is this the bit where you start telling me about a hill of beans, or have you just been watching the movies a bit to much, Tim.  Bit of a dreamer, perhaps?   

MortgagePlus wrote:

Bast of luck with growing up and making something of yourself.

Thanks Tim, and tell your Mum I said hi.

Profile photo of MrleumyMrleumy
    @mrleumy

You guys have far too much time on your hands,
    mildly amusing for the rest of us however!

Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    Mrleumy wrote:
    You guys have far too much time on your hands,
    mildly amusing for the rest of us however!

I’m having a bit of a mental day off. Not sure what Tim’s up to.  Hey Tim, what ya doing?  Aside from your website, is this one of your major thrusts to your marketing strategy – that is the strategy to provide exposure of you and your company to your potential customers through this website? Do you think it’s going to be successful, Tim?  I’m not sure. I think it’s a bit like having Sir Les Patterson as the front man for a dental practice. 

LOL!

Profile photo of reecoreeco
    @reeco

always a good laugh when grown ups act like kids. deep down were all kids anyways. Funny stuff

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.