All Topics / Value Adding / Painting over bathroom tiles…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of SwanySwany
    @swany
    Hi guys,

I'm planning to spruce up a tired second bathroom. There are daggy green cracked tiles in the shower recess which I hope to replace with the same texture and then paint over.

If anyone has done something similiar I would appreciate any tips and what paint to buy.

Thanks in advance

Swany

Profile photo of Skip101Skip101
    @skip101

Personally i hate to see tiles painted over, its rare to see it ever looking good after a short period of time (particularly in a shower recess)
    I think you would be better off replacing a few tiles even if the colour/patterm match isn't perfect, at least it's more functional.

I inspected a cheap property the other day, I couldn't believe they had hand painted the inside of he bath to cover flaws.

Skip

Profile photo of sallyannsallyann
    @sallyann

White Knight is a brand designed for this, you need three parts (clean/prime/paint) I think. They have various colours. If you don't like it or it wears badly you could retile down the track. We did it for a kitchen splashback and it was ok for that job.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

2 other options – have the walls professionally sprayed with an epoxy based paint (lots of fumes but gives an effective change of colour) alternatively tile over the existing tiles (provided it won't interfere with tapware/fixtures).

Profile photo of SwanySwany
    @swany

Hi and thanks for the tips.

Scott No Mates, I was wondering how to avoid brush marks. Not knowing much about spraying….can a airless spray gun handle the expoxy based paint? i wouldn't mind having a go myself.

Cheers

Swany

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I usually sub it out. Unfortunately I am rarely on site when it happens. With the brush on compounds, they are quite viscous so the brush marks are usually minimal unless the product is starting to go off.

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

Have seen this done a couple of times on TV.  I thought the price they mentioned was ridiculous for what you get – around 70% of the price to re-tile (if I remember correctly).  In such a case, why not just re-tile – even new plain white would look better than old  style, repainted.  The finished job (on TV) was nothing to crow about either.  It still looked dated – just a different colour.  There's nearly always extra work to be done anyway (leaks, loose or cracked tiles), which increases the cost.  I've seen tilers do a large bathroom (walls only) in a few hours.  Floor and walls two days (because the floor has to dry before walking on it).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.