All Topics / Opinionated! / Shares beat property over the years

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

Dear All,

Please read the articles below and post your genuine analysis on the articles.

Shares beat property over the years

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23721991-2,00.html?from=public_rss

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,23721991-5013953,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23721986-1702,00.html

The above articles are very confusing. Please do post the comments with your investing knowledge.

Regards,
    Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Profile photo of arandompersonarandomperson
    Participant
    @arandomperson

Probably based on the same info this graph from Vanguard.. they mark cash on the graph but would be cool if they had an average real estate investment return plotted as well:

http://www.vanguard.com.au/Personal_Investors/Tools_and_education/Calculators_and_tools/Volatility_index_chart/

What they are trying to say is in the short term shares are volatile but over the long term they do OK..

Profile photo of MultoGrandeMultoGrande
    @multogrande

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

And the debate between property and shares isn't likely to be resolved tonight! ;)

In essense, you just have to pick one, learn about it and do it.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

The age old debate – both can offer good returns, anf plenty have made a ton of money from both…….but regardless you simply cannot get the same amount of 'magic' out of shares as you can on property. The magic? LEVERAGE. Good property in a good location using the maximum amount of leverage has to be a no brainer over shares.
    IMHO of course. ;-)

Profile photo of arandompersonarandomperson
    Participant
    @arandomperson

leverage? but those guys at Opes Prime are offering up to 95% LVR on shares aren't they.. no wait..

Profile photo of MysteryMystery
    Participant
    @mystery

Does it really matter which one is supposed to be better ? … As long as one or both of the options can give you the wealth you desire. Share traders will say shares are better and property investors will probably argue theirs is the way to go.

I couldn't get shares to work for me. Share trading just didn't suit my personality whereas property is a different story. Neither one is better than the other IMO … Choose whichever one best meets your needs and learn every aspect of it.

Good luck whichever option you choose ….

Martin

Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

As Martin told, End of the day, all it matters is are we becoming rich while investing.

Shares take every day of my time to look into it. If we really calculate amount of work required with property, I give my thubs up for property. Buy once and rent it out.

Please do comment on this thoughts guys.

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

There are many ways to leverage both property and shares and many ways of participating in each market with varying levels of involvement.

set your goals and then work out the best way to acheive them based on your current capacity or penchant for financial education. then take massive action towards those goals and eventually you will arrive at the end results.

At the end of the day both shares and property along with business are all vehicles for wealth creation… just choose one or more and have a go…

Warm Regards
    Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

This argument is a load of crap and a very superficial statement. It in no way covers all the interrelated elements of investing. Did you happen to buy the right shares or properties? Did you buy the properties in the right locations? How was your timing? Maybe you got in when the market was near a peak in one of those investment areas.

I personally feel more comfortable with shares, even though I've backed some real #$%#@ dogs at times. I just feel it is my best chance to create long term wealth.

One of the previous comments never ceases to amaze me…the idea that property has the advantage of leverage. You can get huge leverage in the share market, even greater than property for that matter. Check out derivatives. Having said that,  it carries huge risks and is only for the very skilled (or lucky).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.