All Topics / Help Needed! / Reno Toolbox + CGT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of kentonkenton
    @kenton

Hi

I have gone through the Renovation Toolbox course and Control Spreadsheet and can't seem to find mention of Capital Gains Tax.

Shouldn't this be concidered when calculating Nett profit from a reno deal or am I missing something?

I'm planning to plough all profit from one reno into the next deal. As far as I can see, I would need to take each sale as a CGT event and put aside the appropriate CGT amount. Thus my profit (as calculated in the reno tookit) is reduced by 40% (unless the property is held for more than 12 months of course).

As this is such a significant hit to profit, I would have expected it to be in the deal evalution calculations.

OR as I said, have I missed something?

Thanks
    Kenton

Profile photo of VStarVStar
    Participant
    @vstar

Hi Kenton,
    Are you by any chance considering selling your renotool box? Sorry your profile is not set up to receive Private Messages!

Thanks

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Normally when doing renos as a business, there is no capital gains as the entire profit is treated akin to business income (that is – like salary for businesses).

When doing renos as a private investor you could probably do one or two every few years, but after that you would have an argument with the ATO to say you were not in the business of renovating for profit.

That said, everyone has their own tax situation, so it is hard to know how much tax you will need to pay.

Nevertheless, tax should be a consideration and I will ask Dean and Elise to include it in Reno Toolbox II which is currently in production.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.