All Topics / Value Adding / Floor height discrepancy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of germandgermand
    @germand

Hi,
     I was hoping I could get some advice on a problem I have encountered. I got a carpenter to cut out a hole between the lounge room and back living area large enough for two french doors. This was to open up the space. Much to my dismay, there is a difference in floor height between the two rooms of 40 to 50mm. Is it better to patch up the hole again, or would a step of that height be acceptable/safe? Would creating a ramp be an option although I don't think it would be that great aesthetically? Any advice would be appreciated.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Hi – is building up the floor in the lower room an option? Maree

Profile photo of PudestconPudestcon
    @pudestcon

germand,

Sounds like the back living area is/was a verandah or some such.  Maree is right…. build the floor up if possible.  2nd option would be to include a timber sill at the threshold so there is a definite step to make it visible.  Not the best idea I know but certainly better than a ramp you have suggested IMHO
    Pud

Profile photo of germandgermand
    @germand

Hi Maree,
    Thanks for your comment. Building up the floor in the lower room isn't an option as that is the room with the higher floor height. If I built up the lounge (other) room then it will cover the beautiful baltic pine floorboards and creates additonal floor height anyway between that room and the corridor. Looks like I'll have to go with the step. I appreciate your suggestion.

Profile photo of germandgermand
    @germand

Hi Pud,

I appreciate your suggestion. As I indicated to Maree I can't build up the lower room because it would cover the baltic pine boards and then there is also a marked discrepancy in floor height between that room and the entry from the corridor. Looks like I'm stuck, so I think your idea of a timber sill is a good one and will look better than a ramp. I've seem some homes that have a step like this so it might not look that bad. Many thanks.

Profile photo of helen_kievhelen_kiev
    @helen_kiev

Hi,

Is there any chance to get pictures. I have the same situation.  

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.