All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Foreclosures and Option Holders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of davidcballdavidcball
    @davidcball

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if some one could advise me on the following hypothetical situation. If i hold a call option over a property and then the vendor goes into foreclosure, what happens to my option? I understand that its a question of contract law. Perhaps a clause in the contract is required? Perhaps if they go into foreclosure they do not have the capacity to perform under the contract and i could be eligible to recover my premium? 

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,

David
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Alternatively, if you were to exercise your option it would be at the agreed price – you can't have your cake and eat it.

Profile photo of davidcballdavidcball
    @davidcball

Sorry Scott i don't quite understand. Wouldn't the vendor going into foreclosure mean that even if i did exercise my option they don't really have the capacity to give it to me – because the bank is now in control over what happens? 

On a side note, when they agree to give me the option, does that get put on the title? Does it have to be recorded in court / by a solicitor that they have done so?

Regards,
    David

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi David

The call call option agreements that we're familiar with, have in them a clause that states that we have a "caveatable interest" in the property.  We can them make our own decision as to whether we get our solicitor to register a caveat on the property, regarding the option.  Thanks.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    davidcball wrote:
    Sorry Scott i don't quite understand. Wouldn't the vendor going into foreclosure mean that even if i did exercise my option they don't really have the capacity to give it to me – because the bank is now in control over what happens? 

Regards,
    David

It would depend upon what is in the option contract whether there is a provision for the loss of the option due to the mortgagee taking possession (the mortgagee would have had to have consented to the option if a caveat was placed on the land).

If you have a caveatable interest, have it registered for peace of mind.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.