All Topics / Help Needed! / Best advice : Don’t invest into property : The australian market is CRASHING.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 645 total)
  • Profile photo of Peak OilPeak Oil
    @peak-oil
    yarpos wrote:
    ormeau wrote:
    What makes you feel that I went to a school of concise-ness?

its not about you ormeau, the quote(refer heading and last line) is hollandguys

My apologies yarpos, and sorry if I come across a little pessimistic regarding oil.

When I first started researching the matter it took quite some time before the reality of the situation sunk in, I find it tough to keep a smile on my face regarding my outlook on life nowadays. I know I cant control the future but it has taken its toll on my business and property accumulation. Its been quite a few years since I have been on this site. From memory SM was just entering the US property market, it would be interesting to know how he fared regarding that considering they have had a 25% average fall in price. I believe it there is much worse to come.

Currently I am researching productive agricultural land in areas that are of close proximity to Ocean access, and rail. From the research that I have done its helped me come to the conclusion that these parcels of land will be the ones of high value. The burbs are in trouble and I agree that inner city will hold some level of value too because of rail.

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

thats an interesting idea and one that takes a longer term view than is usual here.  Short term-ism is a fatal flaw in human design I think.  I wonder sometimes how we would approach things if we lived for 500 years and had to suffer the consequences of our actions…..politicians with a 3 year view would look laughable,  but somehow our society accepts it now. Gee I'm philosophical today…..must be the red wine.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Just remember for every doom and gloom artical  out there there is another one about a new viable renewable energy source that is going to save the world. Its just a matter of time until they are used in a large scale. Do you really believe that large energy companies including oil comapanies are going to use the last drop of oil and then just walk away and retire. Get real. They have the next step planed and that will involve green energy. They are a company that wants to survive and they will evovle to green energy when they need too. WHEN THEY NEED TOO. Oil needs to get a lot more expensive before that happens.Money drive the world and there is no money in a world wide collapse. Sad but true.

Profile photo of ItalianDragonItalianDragon
    @italiandragon
    ormeau wrote:
    yarpos wrote:
    ormeau wrote:
    What makes you feel that I went to a school of concise-ness?

its not about you ormeau, the quote(refer heading and last line) is hollandguys

My apologies yarpos, and sorry if I come across a little pessimistic regarding oil.

When I first started researching the matter it took quite some time before the reality of the situation sunk in, I find it tough to keep a smile on my face regarding my outlook on life nowadays. I know I cant control the future but it has taken its toll on my business and property accumulation. Its been quite a few years since I have been on this site. From memory SM was just entering the US property market, it would be interesting to know how he fared regarding that considering they have had a 25% average fall in price. I believe it there is much worse to come.

Currently I am researching productive agricultural land in areas that are of close proximity to Ocean access, and rail. From the research that I have done its helped me come to the conclusion that these parcels of land will be the ones of high value. The burbs are in trouble and I agree that inner city will hold some level of value too because of rail.

And  HOW / WHERE do you find agricultural land ? I`m interested in that too.

Thanks

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello ItalianDragon

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=bhp&t=rur

http://www.rural-real-estate-guide.com/

Just  to start you off. :-)

Is there any chance that I can persuade anyone to stop quoting / repeating the post above in total each time? It should be enough to either address the poster you're answering or at least just quote the relevant  bit if necessary. It's easy to delete the unwanted bits from the quote.

Such a waste of resources.

Elka

Profile photo of Peak OilPeak Oil
    @peak-oil
    elkam wrote:

Such a waste of resources.

Elka

That's what I say about oil!

@italiandragon

Thank you!

I knew realestate.com.au but did not know the second one.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Waste of the time reading this forum

@peak-oil
    god_of_money wrote:
    Waste of the time reading this forum

Just like your posts

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

just one persons opinion, re the value of the thread (assume he/she meant that rather than the whole forum) 

10,000+ views and 240+ responses speaks for itself really

probably has run its course though after many off topic wanderings,  and now comments about response formats and declarations of it being a waste of time…….we seem to be running out of relevant content.

@peak-oil

Our work here is done then yarpos. Up up and away!

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

And the thread clearly demonstrates that  prices will double in the next 10 years so the OT has been found to be wanting with lack of historical evidence to convince us that houses wont perform as they historically have done.

@peak-oil

House prices double in value every 10 years in Australia based on what? The fact they have done so over the last 60 years? What about the next sixty? I love comfort zones.

Participant
    @bardon
    ormeau wrote:
    House prices double in value every 10 years in Australia based on what? The fact they have done so over the last 60 years? What about the next sixty? I love comfort zones.

I was merely agreeing with your post that your work was done here and pointing out that all we had as a basis is what has happened in the past thats my comfort zone.

History always repeats itself

Who loves ya baby

@peak-oil
    Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

But what noone seems to understand is the reason why real estate doubles every 10 years ( the last 60 years ).
    Inflation ( and houseprices doubling every 10 years are a form of inflation ) only became a problem when debt levels started to get out of control. The western countries now have so much debt ( 9 trillion for the US , and ticking ) that they cannot possibly pay back the debts at any time in the future. It's not their intention to pay back that debt at all, the common trick to keep up our way of life ( lifestyle ) is by making more and more debt, ever growing, without limits. A common mistake made by the common man nowadays is to think that their wealth comes at no cost. This is not true. The western ( west has nothing to do with location, it's just a term to say "rich" which in turn is a way to say "indebted") countries became rich at the expense of debt to other countries like China, Saudi Arabia and the likes. Some day , these debts have to be paid back.

Now , something similar occurred with mortgages. In the 1970's , a mortgage of 2 or 3 times your yearly wages was considered normal. It was a lot of money. Then , somewhere around the 1980's, banks were lending more money to people, instead of people thinking "what can I safely afford to pay back each month" , it was now the banks who told the people what they could borrow. It started by shifting the 10 year mortgages to 15 years, then 20 years. If you can pay back 25.000 dollars in 10 years, who says you cannot pay back 50.000 dollars in 20 years, right ? So banks changed the standard mortgage times from 10 years to 20 years, thereby doubling the amount of money that people can borrow and spend on housing. People didn't think anymore in terms of what they could afford, but what they wanted. This was a major change in how people looked at real estate. Instead of a small 3 bedroom house, they now bought massive open plan houses with 4 , sometimes even 5 bedrooms. They had the money to do so. Then, banks thought, hey.. we're earning a lot of money here on these 20 year mortgages, what about we offer them 25 year, or even 30 year mortgages, and then 40 year mortgages ? And so , the amount that people borrowed double up again. At this time, they seemed to have reached a limit. You can't expect someone to pay off more than 40 years of their lives paying off houses , could you ? Since people's wages would only go as far at 40 years. ( from age 25 to age 65 on average )

But then the banks came up with the term 'household income'. Meaning that in a family of 4, you have 2 adults, and thus 2 incomes, basically DOUBLING the income, and thus they had a means to increase mortgages again, up to a massive 500.000$ AUD dollars , sometimes even a MILLION dollars , to be paid back over the next 40 years.

And so , credit was available to anyone. Because of this cheap credit ( 6% interest rates , compared to 18% just a few years earlier ) it meant people could borrow even more. And so the builders created ever bigger buildings, 6 bedrooms / 4 bathrooms / pool / 4double garages etc, because people had money to buy. The cheaper houses went up in price because developers would buy them up , bulldozer them and put up McMansions on there.

So why should houseprices not go up further you say ?
    The answer is simple : We have now reached a social limit on the amount of money 'households' can borrow.

We have maximized the incomes ( two per household ). We have maximized the amount of hours that people want to work ( 50-60 hours per week on average, counting traffic hours etc ). We have maximized the repayment period ( 40 years ).

So we have people sitting with :
    two incomes at 60.000 p.a.
    40 years mortgage repayments
    both working 60 hours

Unless we prohibit people from having kids and thus be able to keep this going, we're up for trouble. As now the double incomers want kids, or they get unemployed because of the incoming recession. Their HUGE mortgages are only sustainable if they BOTH work, and both work 60 hours or more, and have no kids.

This is the simple reason that we have now peaked the house prices , until inflation catches up with the houseprices. So we'll either see :
    – Huge inflation catching up with houseprices. Wages will have to double in order to keep up with these house prices
    – Huge houseprice deflation in order to get back to normal wage proportions.

Now, remember the huge country wide debts I was talking about in the first part of this post ?
    Well , those, together with the individual debt levels, have reached 'breaking point'. Banks will not have the physical money available to service it all. So the governments ( USA ) are printing loads of money ( and by doing this, they are stealing YOUR future's money ). This also explains the high oil prices we see today.

Saudi arabia ( and other OPEC countries ) are getting dollars for their oil. The dollar is nothing more than some paper with prints on it 'saying' it's 'worth' something. Now, if 1 country controls the printing of dollars, they can 'print' free oil , right ? Wrong. Saudi Arabia does not trust the dollar as being worth what USA says it's worth anymore, hence the high oil prices.

It is perfectly logical from a Saudi point of view : They give away oil and get back freshly printed paper in return. Those dollars are only worth whatever someone else will give for them. If europe says they don't want the dollars, they can't use them for anything , maybe toilet paper. Hence, they want MORE of the dollars in order to make up for any future devaluation of the dollar as a result of the frenzied USA dollar-printing that has been going on for the last years. This is what inflation really is.

Now, we can even compare that to house values. A house is only worth what any fool will give you for it. If Michael Jackson decides to buy your house for 1 million dollars, does this mean it's 'worth' 1 million dollars ?
    It sure doesn't. It's worth whatever Michael Jackson can sell his house for. We're in a same kind of situation now.
    When people have a lot of money, they tend to spend more money.

Now , with so many houses up there, and not a lot of people that want to buy them , you would expect people wanting 'more houses' for their money ( "more oil for the dollar" ) or , same house for less money.

When you remove the existing buyers ( people who own a house and who need to sell it in order to buy another house ) from the market ( and with everyone being locked in at 40 year mortgages that's now happening ) and the new buyers too because of restricted credit on top of overpriced houses, house prices will have to come down for the new buyers to get in the market. By pulling houseprices down, the existing buyers will lose money and thus the only real buyers left are the FHB's. These FHB's are outpriced by the homeowners. This friction has to give somewhere, and it will result in houseprices dropping.

On top of all this, Australia has a unique problem : Negatively geared property investors ( the likes of those on this forum ). When houseprices drop, the banks will foreclose the house. ( read the small print in your contract that says that if the amount of money due is higher than the valuation of your house you HAVE to pay the bank the difference back ). So, we get foreclosures of the investors. Those investors usually have 2-3 ( sometimes 20 ) properties that are all interlocked with equity. ( ie : they have bought a second home using equity on the first home, and a third home with equity on the second and first home, and a 4th home with equity of the 3rd, 2nd and 1st home etc ). So if the 1st home goes, the whole chain goes. This means we'll see a lot of properties on foreclosure auctions soon. Whole chains of properties.

This is reality, it's not something I make up. Do the maths, and you will see that I am speaking the truth.

@italiandragon
    Scamp wrote:
    The answer is simple : We have now reached a social limit on the amount of money 'households' can borrow.

We have maximized the incomes ( two per household ). We have maximized the amount of hours that people want to work ( 50-60 hours per week on average, counting traffic hours etc ). We have maximized the repayment period ( 40 years ).

both working 60 hours

Unless we prohibit people from having kids and thus be able to keep this going, we're up for trouble. As now the double incomers want kids, or they get unemployed because of the incoming recession. Their HUGE mortgages are only sustainable if they BOTH work, and both work 60 hours or more, and have no kids.

On top of all this, Australia has a unique problem : Negatively geared property investors ( the likes of those on this forum ). When houseprices drop, the banks will foreclose the house. ( read the small print in your contract that says that if the amount of money due is higher than the valuation of your house you HAVE to pay the bank the difference back ). So, we get foreclosures of the investors. Those investors usually have 2-3 ( sometimes 20 ) properties that are all interlocked with equity. ( ie : they have bought a second home using equity on the first home, and a third home with equity on the second and first home, and a 4th home with equity of the 3rd, 2nd and 1st home etc ). So if the 1st home goes, the whole chain goes. This means we'll see a lot of properties on foreclosure auctions soon. Whole chains of properties.

This is reality, it's not something I make up. Do the maths, and you will see that I am speaking the truth.

Well said!

I guess the people posting here are just hoping no one read your posts otherwise they`ll lose money.

Somewhat like NZ real estate blackmailed the media the other day. They don`t want people to know about the crash.

Participant
    @bardon

Housing upturn predicted in 2010

Posted 3 hours 22 minutes ago
    Updated 3 hours 21 minutes ago

A new report suggests the average house price in Sydney will increase marginally until an upturn in 2010, but the cost of renting will soar.

Leading economic forecaster BIS Shrapnel says the average Sydney house price will hit $550,000 this month after stabilising in the last financial year, following a decline from 2004 to 2006.

Average house prices are expected to rise to $560,000 by June next year but that is a 17 per cent fall from the March 2004 peak.

The report says escalating rents and easing credit conditions will be the key to the next upturn in house prices, expected towards the end of 2010.

It says interest rates rises are likely to keep a lid on growth until then.

The report predicts Sydney house prices will rise by 18 per cent by 2011, compared to 22 per cent in Brisbane and on the Gold and Sunshine coasts.

Price levels in Newcastle and Wollongong are significantly lower than Sydney, with those markets benefiting from the lack of affordability in Sydney.

Rental squeeze

BIS Shrapnel also says an undersupply of new housing will see the average cost of renting rise much more than the cost of buying.

It says record migration is underpinning an already very strong demand for housing, with further population growth of 1.5 per cent expected in the next year.

The report's author, Angie Zigomanis, says there is demand for about 180,000 new dwellings nationally. In the last year, just 155,000 new homes were built.

Mr Zigomanis says there is scope for a lot more growth in rental prices, with vacancy rates so low.

"In most capital cities, 10 per cent plus per annum over the next couple of years at least is probably not unexpected," he said.

He says even if there is another interest rate rise, the cost of buying will not keep pace with the rapid increase in rent prices.

Other cities

The report says Darwin will see a 21 per cent boost by 2011, while modest growth is expected in Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra and Hobart.

BIS Shrapnel says Melbourne and Adelaide will experience a 16 per cent rise, Canberra can expect 15 per cent higher house prices, and Hobart is on track for 14 per cent growth.

But affordability continues to put pressure on the housing market in Perth, where prices are expected to rise by just 6 per cent over the next three years.

@peak-oil
    bardon wrote:

But affordability continues to put pressure on the housing market in Perth, where prices are expected to rise by just 6 per cent over the next three years.

Dont kid yourself Mr News reporter, with 2.5 billion buyers (IE: Chindia + zinc, copper and iron ore)

WA will be the Mecca of Real Estate prosperity and maximum profits.

Profile photo of bigmark100bigmark100
    Participant
    @bigmark100
    Scamp wrote:
    But what noone seems to understand is the reason why real estate doubles every 10 years ( the last 60 years ).
    Inflation ( and houseprices doubling every 10 years are a form of inflation ) only became a problem when debt levels started to get out of control. The western countries now have so much debt ( 9 trillion for the US , and ticking ) that they cannot possibly pay back the debts at any time in the future. It's not their intention to pay back that debt at all, the common trick to keep up our way of life ( lifestyle ) is by making more and more debt, ever growing, without limits. A common mistake made by the common man nowadays is to think that their wealth comes at no cost. This is not true. The western ( west has nothing to do with location, it's just a term to say "rich" which in turn is a way to say "indebted") countries became rich at the expense of debt to other countries like China, Saudi Arabia and the likes. Some day , these debts have to be paid back.

Now , something similar occurred with mortgages. In the 1970's , a mortgage of 2 or 3 times your yearly wages was considered normal. It was a lot of money. Then , somewhere around the 1980's, banks were lending more money to people, instead of people thinking "what can I safely afford to pay back each month" , it was now the banks who told the people what they could borrow. It started by shifting the 10 year mortgages to 15 years, then 20 years. If you can pay back 25.000 dollars in 10 years, who says you cannot pay back 50.000 dollars in 20 years, right ? So banks changed the standard mortgage times from 10 years to 20 years, thereby doubling the amount of money that people can borrow and spend on housing. People didn't think anymore in terms of what they could afford, but what they wanted. This was a major change in how people looked at real estate. Instead of a small 3 bedroom house, they now bought massive open plan houses with 4 , sometimes even 5 bedrooms. They had the money to do so. Then, banks thought, hey.. we're earning a lot of money here on these 20 year mortgages, what about we offer them 25 year, or even 30 year mortgages, and then 40 year mortgages ? And so , the amount that people borrowed double up again. At this time, they seemed to have reached a limit. You can't expect someone to pay off more than 40 years of their lives paying off houses , could you ? Since people's wages would only go as far at 40 years. ( from age 25 to age 65 on average )

But then the banks came up with the term 'household income'. Meaning that in a family of 4, you have 2 adults, and thus 2 incomes, basically DOUBLING the income, and thus they had a means to increase mortgages again, up to a massive 500.000$ AUD dollars , sometimes even a MILLION dollars , to be paid back over the next 40 years.

And so , credit was available to anyone. Because of this cheap credit ( 6% interest rates , compared to 18% just a few years earlier ) it meant people could borrow even more. And so the builders created ever bigger buildings, 6 bedrooms / 4 bathrooms / pool / 4double garages etc, because people had money to buy. The cheaper houses went up in price because developers would buy them up , bulldozer them and put up McMansions on there.

both working 60 hours

This is the simple reason that we have now peaked the house prices , until inflation catches up with the houseprices. So we'll either see :
    – Huge inflation catching up with houseprices. Wages will have to double in order to keep up with these house prices
    – Huge houseprice deflation in order to get back to normal wage proportions.

Now, remember the huge country wide debts I was talking about in the first part of this post ?
    Well , those, together with the individual debt levels, have reached 'breaking point'. Banks will not have the physical money available to service it all. So the governments ( USA ) are printing loads of money ( and by doing this, they are stealing YOUR future's money ). This also explains the high oil prices we see today.

Saudi arabia ( and other OPEC countries ) are getting dollars for their oil. The dollar is nothing more than some paper with prints on it 'saying' it's 'worth' something. Now, if 1 country controls the printing of dollars, they can 'print' free oil , right ? Wrong. Saudi Arabia does not trust the dollar as being worth what USA says it's worth anymore, hence the high oil prices.

It is perfectly logical from a Saudi point of view : They give away oil and get back freshly printed paper in return. Those dollars are only worth whatever someone else will give for them. If europe says they don't want the dollars, they can't use them for anything , maybe toilet paper. Hence, they want MORE of the dollars in order to make up for any future devaluation of the dollar as a result of the frenzied USA dollar-printing that has been going on for the last years. This is what inflation really is.

Now, we can even compare that to house values. A house is only worth what any fool will give you for it. If Michael Jackson decides to buy your house for 1 million dollars, does this mean it's 'worth' 1 million dollars ?
    It sure doesn't. It's worth whatever Michael Jackson can sell his house for. We're in a same kind of situation now.
    When people have a lot of money, they tend to spend more money.

Now , with so many houses up there, and not a lot of people that want to buy them , you would expect people wanting 'more houses' for their money ( "more oil for the dollar" ) or , same house for less money.

When you remove the existing buyers ( people who own a house and who need to sell it in order to buy another house ) from the market ( and with everyone being locked in at 40 year mortgages that's now happening ) and the new buyers too because of restricted credit on top of overpriced houses, house prices will have to come down for the new buyers to get in the market. By pulling houseprices down, the existing buyers will lose money and thus the only real buyers left are the FHB's. These FHB's are outpriced by the homeowners. This friction has to give somewhere, and it will result in houseprices dropping.

superbly put!

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 645 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.