All Topics / General Property / Body corporate man ….. dodgy?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of kenyonadkenyonad
    @kenyonad

Hi guys

We own an apartment in a small block of 6 and the body corp manager also owns another apartment in the same block.

To cut a long story short the body corp. manager is never around and lives in the country somewhere. So his apartment sits there empty, locked up and not tenanted.

We discovered at the last body corp meeting (which is the first one we have attended) that some of the tenants haven't been paying there fees.

We also raised a whole stack of other issues:

– Absolute lack of maintenace being done on property

– Fence falling over

– Gas meters not accessible

– Gutters all rusted and water running down side of building

– Garden out of control

Anyway what im concerned about is what he is doing with the money he has got and the total lack of maintanace and care on his behalf.

Is there anyway we can report him or demand to see funds where the funds are?

Is there certain obligations he has to meet?

Many thanks

Dave

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dave

Where is the block of units located ?

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of kenyonadkenyonad
    @kenyonad

Its located in melbourne.

i actually went to all the trouble as well of organising quotes etc to get things fixed and passed them onto the manager late last year. He did nothing with them and never returned my call.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Ok sorry kenyo thought i might have been in Qld where i could point you in the direction of someone who could advise you.

Legislation in Victoria will be different.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of lbglenlbglen
    Participant
    @lbglen

My folks recently had some issues with one of their body corps (Melbourne). From memory, they only had to get 50% sign-on of other owners and was able to have it taken over by someone of their choosing – a professional crowd that they use for other property.

If you know of another group that you would like to use, then get in touch with them for advice. They should be happy to help you out as it will mean business for them. They'd also be able to advise appropriately regarding owing/missing funds.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Some questions come to mind – is he the strata manager or just one of the owners who is on the executive committee? A strata manager is neither obliged to own a unit nor live on the premises (they are licensed under the same legislation as real estate agents, auctioneers, business agents etc).
    Do you have annual budgets for the sinking fund and the admin fund? Tenants do not pay body corporate fees, owner do.
    Are the other owners pro-active or don't care about the building?
    What else isn't the strata manager doing?
    What is he doing poorly if at all?

Contact VCAT for more specifics regarding your issues.

Profile photo of kenyonadkenyonad
    @kenyonad

Richard,

thanks anyway.

lbglen,

do you mind me asking which guys/company your parents now use?

Scott No Mates,

Sorry meant owners not tenants.

At the previous body corporate meeting there were issues raised about things needing fixing/attention such as:

– Fence falling over

– Gas meters not accessible

– Gutters all rusted and water running down side of building

– Garden out of control and just general lack of maintenance being done on property

We also discovered that some of the owners haven't been paying there fees and are in arrears.

One of the issues is that a few of the owners aren't there as they rent their place out.

How would we go about contacting them?

I check out the VCAT website.

Profile photo of lbglenlbglen
    Participant
    @lbglen

Unfortunate timing – my folks have just headed off O/S for 3 months. I can also recommend the Body Corp bunch we use for our property (Brunswick):

R&S Body Corporate Services
    03 9800 1029

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.