All Topics / Help Needed! / Asbestos Roof

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of trustieonetrustieone
    @trustieone

Jayson

Thanks for your detailed reply,I will certainly take on board all your advice,i can assure you i would never use an unlicenced person to remove the A/C roof sheeting on any project i undertake.

I too have had asbestos clearence tests taken in the past where the air is monitored during removal of asbestos,and again on the completion of the job.

Your advice is all very good and accurate,to other readers of this thread do not mess with asbestos if you dont have to it isnt worth the risk to remove it recklessly..

Thanks again Jayson

Profile photo of mackersmackers
    @mackers
    trustieone wrote:

Jayson

Thanks for your detailed reply,I will certainly take on board all your advice,i can assure you i would never use an unlicenced person to remove the A/C roof sheeting on any project i undertake.

I too have had asbestos clearence tests taken in the past where the air is monitored during removal of asbestos,and again on the completion of the job.

Your advice is all very good and accurate,to other readers of this thread do not mess with asbestos if you dont have to it isnt worth the risk to remove it recklessly..

Thanks again Jayson

your most welcome glad to be of help

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Hi Mackers (and anybody else who can help me).

We had our fibro roof replaced about nine years ago. The roofer assured us he would remove it safely, wet it down, try not to break it etc etc. I made sure the kids were not around, but I was home and what a load of rot about the safety precautions. They were up on the roof breaking it, dropping it all over the yard and throwing it into the back of a plastic lined truck, with someone hosing it every so often. I was disgusted, but too late to stop them.

Just recently, a tech went into the roof to fix the air-con ducted through the roof space and he commented that there is lots of asbestos dust up there. I am wanting to know if we should be getting this dust vacuumed or is it best to leave it intact rather than stir it all up.

If I should get quotes for having it vaccumed, do you have the name of a company that would do this properly (rathern than "cowboy" style like the roofer)?

Profile photo of mackersmackers
    @mackers
    Wylie wrote:
    Hi Mackers (and anybody else who can help me).

We had our fibro roof replaced about nine years ago. The roofer assured us he would remove it safely, wet it down, try not to break it etc etc. I made sure the kids were not around, but I was home and what a load of rot about the safety precautions. They were up on the roof breaking it, dropping it all over the yard and throwing it into the back of a plastic lined truck, with someone hosing it every so often. I was disgusted, but too late to stop them.

Just recently, a tech went into the roof to fix the air-con ducted through the roof space and he commented that there is lots of asbestos dust up there. I am wanting to know if we should be getting this dust vacuumed or is it best to leave it intact rather than stir it all up.

If I should get quotes for having it vaccumed, do you have the name of a company that would do this properly (rathern than "cowboy" style like the roofer)?

You should have it vacuumed as this would be deemed as friable asbestos waste. ONLY a class licensed company could do this work. Do NOT allow any company to inform you that they can do it if they do not have and a class prescribed license. And the correct insurances as if you do not have this removed you run the very real risk of contaminating your home each time the man hole is lifted.This is a classic example of how the boggy builders go around doing this sort of work. Many times I hear the same story and it is all too often too late when we become involved as people are often losing house hold belongings because of contamination.Recently in MacKay I was there at the request of insurance companies to undergo inspections of works carried out by so called licensed builders and so called licensed asbestos removal companies. And I have to tell you out of the 19 houses I visited not one of them was done within the guidelines or code of practice. And indeed many of these houses were re done by me to remove the risk of contamination. Sadly many of these families have lost their possessions many of which could never be replaced but the sad fact is get the wrong company in to do the job and they will cause you future pain and heart ache

In your question you do not say where you are within this country but if you are within Queensland please feel free to email me and I can arrange for a list of companies to go to for you.   

Profile photo of dimadima
    @dima

Hi Builder Bob,

I just a bought a place.

The building report said the roof on the house needs some repair ie re-glazing and fix some of the ridges. The garage roof is in poor condition and has asbestos. Garage is about 3.4 x 8.

I am waiting for some quotes to remove asbestos and fix both roofs but have no idea what is a reasonable price.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.