All Topics / Legal & Accounting / joint sewerage drains

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of brookeleabrookelea
    Participant
    @brookelea

my property shares a sewerage drain with the neighbouring property..  we are at the head of drain and the sewerage flows downstream to the neighbours property..  problem is that my entire sewerage system has been blocked by a problem on the neighbours property.. we can't even use the toilet and i had to have a plumber to come out on saturday night where he spent over 3 hours trying to clear it.. the shaft on the neighbouring property has snapped and much of the sewerage has come back upstream..
    the plumber seems to think that it is a major  problem that could cost around $4000..
    the neighbours refuse to pay any costs because they don't live there – the house has been vacant for years and they are waiting to develop it..
    i don't think it is fair that i have to pay so much given that it is a shared sewerage drain and that the problem is on their side..

what are my rights in relation to this??
    thanks

Profile photo of brookeleabrookelea
    Participant
    @brookelea
    Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Have you tried contacting your service provider? eg Sydney Water, Gosford Council etc? Speak to their plumbing dept – act dumb ie my sewer has blocked further down the line ie off my property When can you fix it?

Participant
    @brookelea

i contacted yarra valley water and they informed me that it was the owner's responsibility..
    but in our case, the sewerage is shared between two properties and therefore the costs are 50/50..
    the neighbour refuses to pay as he does not live in the house.. he wants to develop the property..
    i  had to pay – a small fortune!!  i have been told that i have to go through legal channels to get reimbursed by him..

i don't even think it is worth it..

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It will be if you can slap a caveat over his land to prevent him from developing until he has paid you…

Participant
    @brookelea

oh that is priceless!!  thanks!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.