All Topics / Help Needed! / Holiday lettings, resort. Good or not?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of allmineallmine
    Participant
    @allmine

Hi All
    We have 2 investment properties, just the traditional type, good long term occupancy and well managed via an agent.
    We're looking at the idea of another place and being something where we can stay for a week a year.
    So I been looing around the web sites at what is for sale.
    Now I am trying to figure out which is the better deal here. For example.
    1. Permanant lease, 1 bedroom hotel style unit in a quiet small block, close to all that tenants need in Cairns, $125,000 purchase price,, about 170 a week in rent, $800 p/a body corp, 1,100 rates. Kind of place for long term letting but not managed on site.

2. Holiday letting, beautiful port douglas resort. Deal is, $85,000 purchase price. Then 9,870 lease back to resort with annual cpi increase. Body corp is $4,200 a year approx. Rates are $1,607 per year, we can let if for our holiday for $50 a night, max 4 weeks, but not the popular times.

I have to admit to not being a genius here with this, but the way I see this holiday letting deal, I'd have to be a mug to do it.
    Or am i missing something that is very obvious here and it is the deal of the centuary and I'm a fool for sharing it with you?

I have been toying with the idea of a holiday place, but not come across much posative info about them, this includes the one voice I listen to, my bank loan guy. He spoke about other customers of his who are "bleeding" from these places, not living up to the advertised expectations.

Where best for me to get the acurate info to do the math, as I am finding out there is a lot of difference between these places and deals offered.

Thanks all

Profile photo of units4meunits4me
    @units4me

Hi, we have a fully furnised older type river front  2 bedder in surfers paradise which we permenantly let during the year and holiday let during Dec/Jan and use it ourselves 2nd half of Jan.
    It works out OK for us but we bought very well 6 yrs ago. 
    Don't be so fixed on using it yourself because if you do, they make you use it  off peak anyway. This being the case, you can rent another place off peak for pretty cheap anyway with no stress.

If you want to invest in the area, I would invest in the area by getting a well located, good, sound residential unit (1BR or 2BR, no studios) with a low body corp.
    Have your holidays elsewhere.

Good luck.

Profile photo of sweetssweets
    @sweets

Check out Wyndham Time share company my mate works for them and they have properties you can select from all around the globe?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.