All Topics / Finance / LMI for loan extensions?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can advise if I refinanced my current loan to 95% of its current value to draw down the equity in it, if I have already paid LMI when I initially took out the loan, do I pay LMI again on the total loan amount or LMI just on the additional funds which were refinanced?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Joseph12Joseph12
    @joseph12

If you refinance to a new lender you have to pay LMI on the total loan amount again.

If you increase your existing loan with your current lender you pay the LMI just on the increase amount.

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Thanks Joseph.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you were to increase your existing loan to 95% you would generally only be charged LMI on the extra portion.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

As posted, just the extra portion of borowings only if you stay wiith the same lender – which is a terrific reason to do so! . Some lenders are 'cagey' for 'cash out' on anything over 90% LVR as a sidepoint.

Profile photo of Finance GuruFinance Guru
    @finance-guru

Hi Lopetha,

I do want to add that even if you stay with the same lender, you may be charged LMI again if you upstamp 3 years after the loan originally settled. Different lenders sometimes have different policies on this, so do check you particular lender, or you may come up with an unexpected bill at settlement.

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Im still tossing up ideas at the moment but will keep all the above comments in mind.

Thanks again.

Profile photo of Joseph12Joseph12
    @joseph12

PMI re-structured his LMI on loan increases basing the LMI charge on the full  loan amount (original and additional loan amount) minus the LMI amount already paid on the original loan amount.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.