All Topics / Value Adding / Vinyl Flooring

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of kris07kris07
    Participant
    @kris07

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of organising my first reno. I want to change the existing carpet to vinyl. I'm shopped around a few places and got quoted around $800 for the material and $1,000 for installation (which i think asking alot)…

Does anyone know where i can get vinyl cheap? I'm located in Melbourne

Thanks

Kris

Profile photo of DJayDJay
    @djay

Hi Kris

Congrats on making a start.  I like Western Distributors in Sunshine.

Regards

DJay

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

getting cheap vinyl (unless you are able to find a deal where cheap does not equal poor quality) only brings the next installation (the cost you appeared more worried about ) that much closer.   Its not a good area to cut corners in.   How many square meters are you covering?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Are you talking cheap and nasty vinyl flooring (loose laid DIY) or good quality 2.5-3mm stuff which requires professional installation?

Profile photo of pijokopijoko
    @pijoko

Buy some vinyl tiles and install yourself.

You can buy them at places like bunnings for $1.22 for 30cmx30cm title. They are self adhesive (you peel off the paper backing) and are very easy to install.

This is exactly what we did for our apartment, which we are planning on renting out soon.

Profile photo of kris07kris07
    Participant
    @kris07

Hello everyone and thanks for your responses.

The area I'll be covering is 28 sm. Having looked at a variety of types of vinyl i think i'll be running with the "vinyl tiles" as they are very durable which is quite important to me as im looking to rent the unit out.

Thanks Djay, i checked out western distributors in sunshine…they have sooooo much stuff there.

Profile photo of rukruk
    Participant
    @ruk

vinyl tiles are usually solid vinyl and can be cut back if scratched, whereas vinyl sheeting only has a thin skin of vinyl on top, but i have had vinyl tiles shrink after a few years, they may have improved in recent years.

Profile photo of jamie2006jamie2006
    @jamie2006

Vinyl may be all right for a kitchen or maybe an old bathroom. I think polishing the floor boards is a better looking solution and costs about the same or maybe even less. You will need to check the state of the floor under the carpet by pulling up it up at a corner, you will need to fold it back about a meter or so to get a good look. It should be possible to put the carpet back after you have a look. If your house is an old one you may be suprised how good the floor boards they used in the old days. You can also save money be pulling up your old carpet yourself before the new floor is done.

Profile photo of petronapetrona
    @petrona
    jamie2006 wrote:
    You can also save money be pulling up your old carpet yourself before the new floor is done.

Not sure if the OP has gone ahead with the vinyl or not, but thought I'd post this anyhow for others who may be looking at doing the same thing…

As well as ripping up your old carpet yourself, you can polish the boards yourself too – places like Kennards hire out floorboard polishers.  Just talk to one of the staff, they're very knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction in terms of which machine to hire, how to use it, etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.