All Topics / Help Needed! / Unusual request from a tenant

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Barts78Barts78
    Participant
    @barts78

Hello everyone.

just some basic advice needed.

My tenant just called to request for different curtain in the bedroom as it cuts out too much light. They claim that it brings a  bad vibe (the darkness) to the point where they can not sleep in there any more. They said that if they open the blinds, too much light comes in and would like me to install one that allows partial light in.

I'm keen in looking after my tenants with repairs and additions, even if it's outside the requirements of the law to make them happy, however I have my limits.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable, however I have already replaced the old curtains with new, at there request, prior to them moving into the property. I told them that all blinds/curtains are designed to cut out light, so there request is particularly unusual. I said that I doubt I can meet their request as the curtains do what they are suppose to do and that I can not afford it. I said that I will look into it but can't make any promises.

Anyone else have a sensible opinion/advice here?

Thanks

Profile photo of units4meunits4me
    @units4me

Tell them that they can install whatever curtains they like at their own expense.

They also must restore the original curtains prior to vacating, at their expense.

Put it in writing also.

Profile photo of Barts78Barts78
    Participant
    @barts78

Thanks units4me

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Barts78

I have to agree with units4me wholeheartedly.  I also thought how much I enjoy having my property managers to deal with such "interesting" requests, without me knowing anything about it ;-)

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

If I were the landlord I would weigh up how valuable they were as tenants vs how expensive it would be to replace the curtains.  If they had been there for a long time, didn't complain about the property, were always prompt with their rent then I may entertain their request.

But given that you replaced the curtains previously at THEIR request, I would not put new curtains in no matter how good they were as tenants.  I would have no problem with them buying curtains and putting them up as long as they replaced them when they left.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Barts78Barts78
    Participant
    @barts78

Thanks everyone.

I ended up telling them to intall at their own cost. They were pretty cool with it.

Thanks heeps everyone for your help…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.