All Topics / General Property / WANTED ADVICE, IDEAS AND ANY OTHER FAIR COMMENTS PLEASE.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of tastrctastrc
    @tastrc

Hello,
    This is my first posting so please be nice. I am very naive when it comes to my financial assets. I have tried to manage them on my own for a very long time now due to personal circumstances and unfortunately I/we seem to be heading downhill. 
    Here is my/our current situation: We have 2 mortgages, 1 for numerous acres of vacant land in country vic, another for a rental property in a different town in country vic. My partner and I currently rent a house near our land. Due to drastic changes in our working situation we are currently very limited with money and probably will be for a while.
    Our rental house is on the market through a real estate agent and has been for approx 5 months now. It is situated in country vic in a pretty town. We have had 1 offer well below our asking price and we knocked this back. Since this our agent has not phoned us. It has had only 1 listing in a local paper for the town. I have had this house for 7 1/2 years now and really have found it to be a nightmare and just wish to sell it so we have funds to be able to put a house on our land and have a house for ourselves and our teenage children who live with us part time.
    As it is being sold through an agent; am I able to advertise the house myself in a noagent property website or anywhere else for that matter?
    I think over the years that I have had this house I have paid enough money to real estate agents, accountants, and tenents to have things fixed in the house that were not necessarily done by accident.
    I would just really like to chat to someone with some free knowledge that they would like to part with to help me out a bit.
    Thankyou very much and hope to hear from some people with some positive comments and suggestions for me, I would be very grateful and keen to listen.

Profile photo of Jackie1966Jackie1966
    @jackie1966

I sold real estate for 8 years.  When a property took a long time to sell, it was usually because the price was too high. 

By now, any agency agreement with your real estate agent would have run out so, yes, you can sell privately and the agent will not be entitled to any commission.  However, having said this, I would send a letter to the agent to let him know that the Sole/Exclusive Agency is now terminated.  You can still be "open listed" with the agent which still gives him/her the opportunity to sell the property.

Selling your own property in a fairly remote area may not be as easy as you think.  Why not try another agent?  Have you heard of Jenman Approved Offices?  Check out this link:  http://www.jenman.com.au/AboutApproved.php.  You may find someone who can help you to sell.  Be fussy about your agent.  They are handling a lot of your money.

I hope this has helped.  If I can help you further, please ask any question.

Regards and good luck.

Jacqueline

Profile photo of tastrctastrc
    @tastrc

Hi Jackie1966,

thanks so much for your advice. Very much appreciated.
    I will have a look at the link that you suggested and see what happens.
    Its really frustrating when you are given an evaluation by the real estate agents that is a bit misleading and expect a bit more for your property than what it may be worth.
    Im glad I posted now! I wasnt going too, I may even receive some more suggestions if im lucky.
    Have a nice night and thanks.

Profile photo of give90give90
    @give90

hi
    for what it is worth, i would never take one agent's word for an evaluation unless i knew them well and trusted them. is the regional area large enough to support other agents? if so, go there and go to meet other agents. don't give out too much info about you but ask questions and get a gut feeling for who to give it to for sale. also, i never sign 3 month exclusives. 8 weeks is more than enough. i never sign exclusives if i can avoid it either.

much of this depends on the size and dynamics of the town. country towns are a rare breed and very different from city real estate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.