All Topics / General Property / anyone consider solar orientation of the block?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Hybrid2007Hybrid2007
    @hybrid2007

Hello,

In furthering my property investment abilities, I have never been to any seminars or the like so this may be a silly question (sorry!).

Im not a planner but i work with them and all the talk about house orientation is playing on my mind. I was just thinking in terms of buying a quality property, does anyone pay attention to the street aspect? Which way the house is facing and where the living areas are on the floorplan. I am looking to buy interstate and not intending to visit properties however i thought of shortlisting properties on their orientation and floorplan. Does this sound stupid?

Just wants some opinions. Thanks.

Profile photo of tammytammy
    @tammy

I guess it all depends an where you are looking. Here in regional NSW where summer temps can be over 40 deg with long hot dry spells, a stunning new home with no trees and a westerly aspect (ie patio in blaring sun) to me would not be as appealing as a bit older house with trees and an easterly or northerly aspect. But that is because my current home IS westerly facing, lacks trees and my babies are now growing there is no play outside during the day, so my preference has changed. I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends on the location and the person who is going to occupy. Prior to having my children, it didnt fuss me as I wasnt home all that much.

No it doesnt sound stupid, just consider it as you would when looking for parks, schools, shops etc.

Tammy

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

I think you're VERY wise to consider the house's orientation. I've seen some lovely houses with nice big open family rooms at the back, but the windows face west. Stinking hot in summer, very expensive to keep cool.
    The right orientation does the right thing by the environment and your wallet. We built with orientation in mind and – combined with extensive insulation – our heating/cooling bills are very low.

In terms of an investment property, it doesn't hurt to be able to say "north-facing living areas" – and certainly it's a selling point.

There's plenty of info on the net about where to site the different rooms if you decide to build instead.

Profile photo of Hybrid2007Hybrid2007
    @hybrid2007

thanks. Glad to hear it does make sense.

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

Hello there
    In looking at the aspect for potential purchases, think about what the planning regulations state abut where living areas are to be sited ie if north facing to achieve energy ratings and you want them at the front of the block it makes littel sense to buy a south facing property.
    This all depends on the area you are looking at buying in and what the local requirements might be, for example in Adel, people seem to want one bed plus a living area at the front of a property, this poses design problems in the block is very narrow, for example I recently did a sub-divide build there where i only managed a bedroom and garage at the front.
    Look at your target market, potential block frontages and council requirements, then check with a few builders, once you have done all that then you will be much better informed in block selection,
    Hope this helps
    Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of tastrctastrc
    @tastrc

Hi there, I think its a great idea, especially considering all the talk about using less power for the home due to global warming; and who wouldnt want to save money on electriciy bills!

Ps, it dosnt sound silly it sounds very smart to me!!

Profile photo of Tony BTony B
    @tony-b

Its not stupid at all to consider the aspect of the block I would say its a must. Im a bit fussy and go to the extream on this. Not many people do it Im supprised. I dont like corner blocks, Sola panalles on the frount of the house are a no no in most estates or the builder will charge more. I also consider the trafic and the interfirance from head lights at night and trafic safety. My friend has a house next to the hyway and it is a concern as to noe day he is going to wake up with a car in his bedroom. Cross overs, sun and light. Even the distance from the surage & electrical can cost more if its at the back of your block. 

Profile photo of Mikey PMikey P
    Participant
    @mikey-p

Hi
    I have worked in property development for 18 years both for myself and creating developments for 1000's of clients.
    The golden rule as I was taught and applied…..make sure the living areas are facing as northerly/easterly as possible and make sure that the south/western sides have enough protection such as wide eaves or verandahs. This allows winter sun to warm the living areas in the morning and allows more light where it is required. The term used is solar passive housing. There is heaps of free information on the net, particular sites include the HIA or MBA.
    Cheers
    Mikey

Profile photo of Big BenBig Ben
    Participant
    @big-ben

Where are you Mikey P? Am I not pretty enough?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.