All Topics / Help Needed! / How much stamp duty

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of dirk digglerdirk diggler
    @dirk-diggler

I have an IP that is only in my name and I want to sell the property but I will be hit with a large tax bill. I am planning on adding my partner to the title so I can split the CGT between the both of us.

Does anyone know how much stamp duty I would have to pay if I add my partner? I purchased IP for 105k and the property is now valued at 400k, I would have paid the original stamp duty on the 105k.

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

Hi there
    don't know which state you are from – but you may wish to contact either a solicitor or conveyancer to discuss this with.

My understanding is you can add your partner – stating the consideration is love and affection – and pay no stamp duty provided you comply with the relevant requirements – stat decs etc

You may also like to consider the option mentioned in the March API magazine – which suggests if you move into your IP for a period and make it your principal home – you can take advantage of the CGT exemption on a principal home – and not pay CGT

thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.