All Topics / Value Adding / Tiles vs Timber flooring

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

Just about to build 2 detached double storey houses (garage under). Am debating whether to go for tiles or pay the extra for timber floors. They would cost an extra 3 – 4k in each house.  I am planning to hold them as rentals so I figure that tiles would be better with wear and tear. However I haven't used them in an upper floor before. They will be glued straight onto chipboard.

Any advice appreciated?

Ian  

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

probably true as you say that the floor will take more wear,   only downsides I can think of are that the place will be cold if you are building in a place that has a cool winter (not your PPOR so care factor may be zero) and, if you want to replace the floor for whatever reason its a shit of a job compared to floating floors if you are fixing the tiles to the base flooring.

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Rockian,

Tiles will wear much better than timber, especially in a rental situation. It is a lot quicker and cheaper to replace tile than timber flooring. And if properties are just for renting… Save the dollars and utelise them elswhere, an item that may get you higher rental return.

Luke

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

For a rental property I would choose tiles every time.  Not only will they last longer they will look better longer.  If you have a tenant who doesn't respect your property then timber flooring will look shabby VERY quickly.  An inconsiderate tenant can destroy timber flooring within a couple of weeks.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian
    Linar wrote:
    For a rental property I would choose tiles every time. Not only will they last longer they will look better longer. If you have a tenant who doesn't respect your property then timber flooring will look shabby VERY quickly. An inconsiderate tenant can destroy timber flooring within a couple of weeks.

Cheers

K

Thanks K and Luke,

Tiles it will be! Start construction in a week or so!

Ian

Profile photo of zemdan70zemdan70
    @zemdan70

You can actually get both in one.  A tile from Spain that looks like a plank of timber……amazing but true….
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/kalafrana

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

They look pretty neat!!!! Any idea on cost for them?

Profile photo of BuildaBuilda
    Participant
    @builda

In answer to the technical question, these days you can stick straight to the flooring however you need to get the right advice from your tile shop to ensure you buy the correct flexible adhesive. It is more expensive but worth doing it right!

Yes, the tiles are a cheaper option that polished timber floors and in addition you don't have the same maintainence upkeep from having to resand and polish every few years – especially in a renter!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.