All Topics / Help Needed! / Repayment of Mortage duty? Help needed

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

Hi all,
    I have a friend who has come to me needing help. I do not have the knowledge on this one to even know where to start, so some guidance would be useful.

Her family bought a house last year in Queensland, moved in and within 4 weeks was forced to move out due to neighbours making several threats.  The police advised her at this time, to not go back as it was too dangerous.  She has then sold the property and had settlement within 6 weeks.  She therefore held the property for approximately 3 months.  She obtained the FHOG and therefore all the concessions that are received with it.  At this point, repayment of all the concessions has been exempt due to the circumstances involved except the mortgage duty.  She has been told that she has to pay it and then seek a refund and it is highly unlikely that a refund will evenuate.  The bill is around $6.5k.  

The intent of this single income family (with 3 young kids) was to have there dream, and unfortunately they have lost out big time, even with the concessions already given, there purchase and sell costs have left them dry.

Unfortuately they have come to me with the bill overdue and are therefore also accrueing interest at around 14%.  At this point they are looking into taking out a personal loan to pay? Has anyone any ideas on who to go to for help.
    Thanks in advance?
    JL

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.