All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Copyright Issue with Integrity

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

Hi Folks,

I Have recently had a draftsman design 2 houses for me as a detached duplex. The plans were drawn up accurately on a drawing board in ink (as the draftsman was old school) and submitted to council and approved without changes. I then took the council approved plans to a project home builder to get quotes on the houses. They said that they needed to draw them on CAD to enable them to give a fixed costing on the project. I have just received their plans back redrawn in their computer program and noticed that they have copyrighted them!! Are they able to do this? I am also getting another builder to quote so does this mean that he or any other builder can't use the plans anymore? Have they now got me in a position where I have to go with them?

Believe it or not the company's name is Integrity!!

Appreciate any feedback,

Ian     

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

They can copyright their CAD file, but they don't own the design. So you don't own their digital CAD file, or any print-outs that they produce from that file, but the original hand-drawn designs still belong to you (or the draftsman, depending on your arrangement with him). Copyright is not a blanket thing that covers every aspect of the document; it's much more complex than that. This fact sheet may help you:

http://www.copyright.org.au/g017.pdf

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

Thanks Trakka,

That puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the link. It is very informative.

Kind regards, Ian  

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.