All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice on Student Accomodation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Simon_GSimon_G
    @simon_g

Hi All,

Do any of you have any experience or thoughts on 'student' accommodation????

I have found a unit in a complex of 24 that is being sold as student accommodation.  The complex is very close to a major university and the entire complex is student accommodation with on-site managers.

The rent is quite high, although the agent told me it is usually tenanted 45 weeks a year, however, with the high rent, still makes it attractive.

The management fees are 7.5% + gst which is nothing too excessive.

The upside I see is the high rent.

The downside I see is it would not be suitable for a family to live in, only students.  I don't know if this will affect potential growth or make it harder to sell if need be.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Simon.

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

Because only students can (practically) live in it, you'll get a lower LVR, only 60 or 70%. For me, that's the main disadvantage.

Profile photo of Simon_GSimon_G
    @simon_g

Thanks Trakka, I didn't realise that…..

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

There is many posts regarding purchasing student accomodation as investments on this forum. Try doing a search, a problem that comes up alot is a lack of capital growth.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.