All Topics / General Property / do i still need to offer a deposit???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of chappellchappell
    Participant
    @chappell

i am about to make an offer on a house and my finance is all sorted approved and ready to go.
    my question is this:
    can i get away with not offering a deposit on my written offer if my finance is approved and im happy with the vendors 30 day settlements terms?

or is this frowned apon?

i have been told that family of the deceased are selling this house.

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

any thing is negotiable
    however the real estate agent involved usually banks the deposit in their trust account and takes commission from that amount ,
    so they like to see a suitable amount to cover all that hard work
    i wrote an offer on saturday and could SEE the panic set in when i said i wanted to finance  100%,
    so in the intrests of having it presented in its best light put 5% deposit
    ( which i figured covered commission  and saved me a little mortgage insurance )
    the relief was quite visible
    she is coming tomorrow with the counter offer

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

You can go whatever you can get away with.

I have never paid more than a $1000 deposit.  In some circumstances I have said that I will pay a $1000 deposit but the agent has never chased it up.

What would be the benefit to you of not paying a deposit, even a small one?

Cheers

K

Profile photo of chappellchappell
    Participant
    @chappell

i ask because my cash savings have been some what stretched due to a family emergency and i no longer have the $1000.00 deposit
    i still have money for the convayencing and raports tho.

i guess im not real sure what i should do from here on?
    any advice or friendly tips would be appreciated

thanks

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

Offer at least some deposit, even $100. Isn't your deposit your "consideration" for entering into the contract, and without offering any consideration, you can't bind the vendor if they, for example, get a better offer? Not sure – what do the legal eagles say?

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

Offer at least some deposit, even $100. Isn't your deposit your "consideration" for entering into the contract, and without offering any consideration, you can't bind the vendor if they, for example, get a better offer? Not sure – what do the legal eagles say?

Profile photo of MichaelDougMichaelDoug
    @michaeldoug

When I made my offer for my place at http://www.bondapartments.com.au I didn't have any deposit and it was fine for me.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hey trakka

No consideration is required to enter into a contract.  Consideration is required only in exchange for the thing you want to receive, ie, property.

A deposit shows only that you are serious about entering into the contract, that is, it makes your offer more attractive to the vendor.

Chappell, I've got to ask, if a family emergency has depleted your deposit of $1000, are you sure you can afford to even purchase this property?  What happens if interest rates go up by another quarter of a percent or, as is entirely possible, a full one percent?

Cheers

K

Participant
    @chappell

thanks everyone for your in put.

much appreciated

cheers

Profile photo of emu1208emu1208
    @emu1208

I only deposited $100 and signed contract, this way they know that you are really serious about buying. It will also encorage the vendor to sign contract.  I personally dont think it matters how much deposit you initially put in.  Good luck

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

you may be able to offer a deposit bond from a bank.

Profile photo of Jackie1966Jackie1966
    @jackie1966

I always asked for a 5% or 10% deposit, when selling real estate, because it really is a sign of good faith.  If the purchaser only puts down, say, $100, what have they really got to lose if they go cold on the idea of purchasing the property?  They could walk and all that's lost is $100 (sure the vendor can sue but that's pretty messy).  If there's a substantial deposit, it's a lot more binding on the buyer and he/she has a lot more to lose.

Jacqueline

Profile photo of marg4000marg4000
    @marg4000

You can try offering no deposit, but it will depend on the vendor whether it is accepted.

There is no way I would sign a contract to sell a property without a substantial deposit.  Why?  Because once I sign a contract the property is off the market.  Then the buyer can walk away if there is no deposit.  To me a deposit is a sign of good faith and a genuine intention to complete the purchase.
    Marg

Participant
    @chappell

thanks for every ones feed back since the last time i posted i have signed a contract on a property (my very 1st one ) with a $500.00 deposit.
    the vendor is fine with it and has also signed so now on with the gritty stuff.

Aimee

Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

Congratualtions Aimmee!
    JL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.